iPad stuck on public wifi after DEP enrollment

gil_anspacher1
New Contributor

Enrolling iPads via DEP. On start-up, select our public wifi to get device connected and into DEP process. After enrollment, wifi configuration profile is downloaded to the device. But the device sticks on the SSID used activate the device. A reboot did not fix it.

Any wisdom here?

1 REPLY 1

PatrickD
Contributor II

Hi @gil.anspacher ,

From what i understand, Caper only pushes the Wi-Fi setting and not the instruction to switch from one Wi-Fi to another or prefer one over the other.

There are a couple ways around this. After enrolment and the policies are received by the iPad, select the "public" SSID on the iPad and select "Forget". The iPad should then automatically connected to the Wi-Fi that Casper provided credentials for. Manual and painful, I know!

The other option is to use Apple Configurator. I use this a part of my DEP enrolment process for installing the latest iOS anyways. You want to apply a configuration profile that consists of the credentials for your "public" Wi-Fi (yes, this even works if there is no security on the SSID), then you want to go the the General tab of the config profile and select the option that allows you too have the config profile to self remove after 1 hour or your preferred time frame.

Hope this helps!

Pat