iPads not communicating with Casper server

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi All

We made some changes to our Casper MDM server over the last couple of weeks that consisted of the following:

Minor changes to the restrictions in the configuration profile (restricting FaceTime) Updated Casper to 8.31 * Changed our Tomcat certificate, as we were previously using an MD5 one which is now not supported on iOS 5

I noticed yesterday that many of our iPads are not updating inventory, looking at the management history on these iPads the last item to be acknowledged is the installation of the modified configuration profile. After that push notifications are sent but not responded to.

Some iPads are talking to the server fine, even with the new configuration profile. There is a mixture of iOS versions on the working and non-working iPads.

I tried putting our old certificate back into Tomcat and sending the push notifications again, but it still doesn't work.

I connected a non-working iPad to IPCU and the following appears in the console log:

Oct 20 08:25:55 unknown mdmd[21] <Warning>: MDM|Polling MDM server https://phobos.ccgs.wa.edu.au:8443//mdm/ServerURL for commands

Oct 20 08:25:55 unknown mdmd[21] <Warning>: MDM|Scheduling poll of MDM server.

Oct 20 08:25:55 unknown mdmd[21] <Warning>: MDM|Could not send response to MDM server. Error: NSError 0x1d963840:

Desc : A transaction with the server at “https://phobos.ccgs.wa.edu.au:8443//mdm/ServerURL” has failed with the status “402”.

US Desc: A transaction with the server at “https://phobos.ccgs.wa.edu.au:8443//mdm/ServerURL” has failed with the status “402”.

Domain : MCHTTPTransactionErrorDomain

Code : 23001

Type : MCFatalError

Params : (

"https://phobos.ccgs.wa.edu.au:8443//mdm/ServerURL",

)

This is repeated over and over again. Does anyone suggest something else to try?

Kind Regards

Patrick Lawrence
Systems Administrator
Christ Church Grammar School
Queenslea Drive
CLAREMONT WA 6010
Phone: (08) 9442 1660
Fax: (08) 9442 1690
plawrence at ccgs.wa.edu.au

![external image link](attachments/242ac4043f574367a63399d1a639d426)

Disclaimer
This message, including any attachments, is provided without responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure material in this e-mail message is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes responsibility for use of the material transmitted.

This e-mail is intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may contain confidential and privileged information. Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not Christ Church Grammar School.

Please consider the environment before you print this e-mail.

13 REPLIES 13

Not applicable

Hi,

This is a bit of a "me too"

I am new to Casper and have only had it up for just over a week and thought it was something that I did.

Looking at the changes you made bellow the only one that I did as well is the update to casper 8.31

I am getting exactly the same results though. Devices that work fine and devises that don't. Even if I remove and re enrol a device it has exactly the same behaviour.

Regards

Trent Anderson
Trinity College

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I just saw this as well since upgrading to 8.31. Put a ticket in with JAMF.

Not applicable

I am having this issue with 1 iPad also. It seems no Push Notifications are being acknowledged by the iPad when sent form the JSS.

Is there any solution to this yet?

Thanks,
James

James Poulos
james.poulos at hillcrest.vic.edu.au
IT Manager
Hillcrest Christian College
CRICOS 02780F
500 Soldiers Road Clyde North Vic 3978
T: +61 3 9702 2144 F: + 61 3 9702 2155
www.hillcrest.vic.edu.au

plawrence
Contributor II

James

I received a fix from JAMF support for the issue I was having. It was to do with validating certs, to confirm you are having the same error Jamf suggests the following:

"We would like you to take a look in the /Library/JSS/Logs folder on the server and find a file called JAMFSoftwareServer.log. On Windows, this should be in Program Files/JSS/Logs. All the way at the bottom of the log file, do we see any lines starting with [ERROR] [JamfEncryptionUtils ] - Error: The JSS was unable to validate the request ? Please let us know how the device communication is going, and whether this error is present."

If you are getting that error, let me know and I can pass on their fix.

Just yesterday I also had a single iPad that would OTA enrol correctly but would not receive any push notifications afterwards, there were errors in /Library/JSS/Logs stating "No UDID was specified when attempting to connect to the MDM Servlet. Rejecting…" I had to iTunes Restore that iPad to get it to work again. Have you tried restoring your broken iPad?

Patrick Lawrence.

Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I don't have those error. The error I do see in that log file is:

[WARN ] [MDMController ] - No UDID was specified when attempting to connect to the MDM Servlet. Rejecting...
2011-11-04 13:02:09,120 [WARN ] [MDMController ] - Rejecting incoming request:

After that there is what looks like the XML response from the iPad, as there is the name of Apps etc filling up the log.

I suppose I might need to try and restore it, but as it is my iPad, I was hoping to avoid that.

Thanks,
James

plawrence
Contributor II

James

Yeah, that’s exactly what I saw yesterday. Nothing fixed it until we restored the iPad. I did backup (to iCloud), restored the iPad in iTunes then restored the backup from iCloud, re-enrolled OTA and it was back in action. No data was lost. I have only seen this error on iOS 5 so far.

Patrick

Not applicable

Done the restore etc on this iPad, but still no luck. Exactly the same error. Anything else that I can try?

Thanks,
James

andyinindy
Contributor II

Patrick:

Hate to chime on this this thread, but we are seeing the "JAMFEncryptionUtils" error that you mention. Any chance that you could share the fix from support?

Thanks!

-Andy

Matt
Valued Contributor

MDM has been so hit or miss for me too. It takes a long time to push commands if they even do push and my external server never works :(

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

check to make sure your cert is valid. Mine was working fine and expired. Unfortunately placing a new cert (from apple developer program) hasn't helped.

jminko
New Contributor

Same problem here. I enrolled an iPhone4 earlier today ans havent heard from it since...Here is what i have and Management History

Install Configuration Profile iPhone_Profile NotNow Update Inventory NotNow

Not sure what "NotNow" means as a status code.....Any Ideas??????

rhs615
New Contributor III

@plawrence - we are also having the JamfEncryptionUtils issue. Can you please share the fix from JAMF Support?

plawrence
Contributor II
we are also having the JAMFEncryptionUtils issue. Can you please share the fix from JAMF Support?

@rhs615 - This is a pretty old thread! The solution to this problem involved running a MySQL script on the server, I don't feel comfortable asking you to run this now as there might have been changes to the database in the newer versions of the JSS. I suggest contacting JAMF Support first to see what they suggest. If you don't have any luck there, email me at plawrence@ccgs.wa.edu.au and I'll dig up the old script and send it your way.