iPads with IOS 14 will not enroll or communicate with JSS

sedwards
Contributor

I'm having an issue with any iPad running iOS 14 whether I'm trying to enroll it with iOS 14 on it or after upgrading to iOS 14. If I enroll an iPad with iOS 13 (works fine) and then upgrade it to iOS 14, my JSS will no longer communicate with the iPad. It will not receive any management commands, inventory updates, or apps. If I try to enroll an iOS 14 iPad from scratch, it will not enroll (says it can't download the configuration). iOS 13 and below iPads are working without issue.

I originally was running JAMF 10.25.1 when I noticed this issue and subsequently upgraded to 10.25.2 but it did not resolve the issue. Has anyone seen this an or have a solution? I have a case open with JAMF support and am waiting for them to get back to me figured I'd check with others in the meantime.

8 REPLIES 8

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Can it be related to this:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/9930/local-network-privacy-setting-for-self-service-app-in-ios-14

Sorry, I'm not finding much more info.

ejculpepper
Contributor

Could it be something with the "Private Address" setting that was introduced in iOS 14 that randomizes the MAC address of the device? Might be worth disabling it just to see if the behavior changes.

sedwards
Contributor
Could it be something with the "Private Address" setting that was introduced in iOS 14 that randomizes the MAC address of the device? Might be worth disabling it just to see if the behavior changes.

I thought that could be an issue as I did see the device show up on my network with two different MAC addresses but Private Address is off by default when I try to enroll the device as new. I've tried with it both on and off and it makes no difference.

arobertson
New Contributor II

I am having the exact same issue. No iPads will enroll if they are already on iOS 14. This is a very important issue and hopefully will be address quickly. If I remove the iPad from any prestage enrollment, its sets up fine with iOS 14. If I attach it to any prestage, it gets hung on "Awaiting final configuration."

arobertson
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I solved this issue by going into the Prestage and unchecking "Install configuration profiles before Setup Assistant." This will stop the device from waiting for the profile to install and allow it to proceed through the setup. If you have a Profile that is causing an issue, you can identify it after the device has setup.

Hope this helps

joeguo
New Contributor

Hi,
We have the same issue as well. half of our iOS device (iOS 14) can't be managed right now. we can someone get it solved?

CairoJXP
Contributor

We're running Pro 10.26 and able to have devices run through prestage accordingly on iOS 14, but we aren't pushing out configurations initially; they get installed after the user signs in with required credentials.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi @sedwards - not sure if this is fixed but maybe you could try Unassigning it from your Jamf Pro server in Apple Business/School Manager. Deleting the inventory record in Jamf Pro and wipe (Restore) the device using Apple Configurator 2. Then re-assign back to Jamf pro in Apple School/Business Manager, wait for it to be assigned back and make sure it is ticked in the Prestage. Then start up the device