iPhone Update for Staff

bvondeylen
Contributor II

What is the best way to transition from an old iPhone (in our case the iPhone 7) to a new iPhone connected to DEP?

If I let staff backup their iPhone and restore, it removes the Jamf MDM.

So I cannot let me staff restore from iCloud.

How do they backup and restore their data (quickly and easily)?

2 REPLIES 2

bumbletech
Contributor III

In my experience the only issues with iCloud backups have been restoring to the same device. If you use the same device it will restore the same Supervision and MDM state as the previous instance. Haven't seen the same moving to a different device (that's actually a trick we use for some old devices we want to be managed by DEP. Restore A to B, backup B, restore B to A.)

You might want to double check your PreStage settings.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

Not sure I understood your response or you understood my dilemma.

When we get our new iPhones, and they are assigned to us via DEP, I want to put them in Supervision mode and add them to our Jamf MDM.

Last time when I did just that, the staff members took them home and restored the iPhone with their prior iCloud backup and took them OUT of MDM mode (so wifi didn't work). The only way to get them back in was to erase them and re-prepare them.

I don't want to go through that again. I would like them to get their new iPhones and be able to restore them but also be supervised and part of our Jamf MDM.

Can that be done? Or do I tell them they cannot restore from backup?