Is it possible to set supervision OTA?

mpittcasd
Contributor

After hearing about Casper Focus yesterday, I was hoping to be able to implement that for my teachers. We are only in our 2nd year of ipad distribution to students and I am always asked about ways to see what they are doing or keeping the students focused.

I am reading over the configuration article, and I'm stuck at the point where I specify the JSS address with the JSS; I am not able to find the app configuration pane. That aside, none of our ipads are currently supervised so I am curious if there is a way to change that OTA, or if all of them need to be done manually plugged into a computer with configurator installed.

4 REPLIES 4

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Not with iOS 6, supposedly the case with iOS 7 although there are no details.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Look at the WWDC talk regarding management in iOS 7 though I have not seen an implementation of this by an MDM.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Amusing thing is I've gone back and forth with Applecare and they insist you can supervise OTA with MDM right now, but it's JAMF who doesn't support it (but I believe it isn't available yet to JAMF).

"The MDMOptions command is documented in the MDM Protocol Documentation, which is available to developers. You will need to contact JAMF regarding their timeline for implementation."

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Well, it is in Apple's own MDM in a future version, but their MDM doesn't do anything other than that... Besides it isn't publicly available yet! I imagine it isn't trivial to implement. I haven't seen any released implementations yet.

So technically AppleCare is correct, but they haven't even released their own MDM that does it, so it's just waiting now. Of all the mdm's out there, I imagine it'll be in Casper fairly soon as they usually implement things well ahead of the other MDM solutions.