Is Jamf Pro v10.4.1 'slower' than v10.3.0?

benducklow
Contributor III

Checking in with the community here to see if anyone else has experienced a slow-down of performance after doing an upgrade from 10.3.0 to 10.4.1... I did in our environment and am curious as to others' experience. Not only is the webapp slower to load/display things like Policies, but seeing tools 'beachballing' as well. For example, seeing a beachball for 15-30 seconds when sending a simple script to a device using Jamf Remote...

Thoughts? Feedback from others out here?

21 REPLIES 21

GregE
Contributor

Can't say on those versions specifically, but going from 9.101 to 10.3 it regularly crashes. Get all the way through creating a new policy only to get the reboot screen when you click 'save'.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

We did see something similar, however, I purged some of the database tables "Applications" specifically, ran the database repair and optimise, then just tweaked the "max connections"etc. etc. and things did go back to normal.

Cheers

hendersong
New Contributor III

Yes, I'd say 10.4.1 seems slower than previous versions. We are Cloud hosted and have noticed a difference. Figured a future update would speed things up again.....

jhuls
Contributor III

We're currently at 10.3.1 and it's been noticeably slower than 9 so I'm cringing to think 10.4 or possibly the just released 10.5 might be slower yet. At the moment it's tolerable but any more than that could get more than irritating.

Overall while 10 brings some needed features I feel like the user interface revamp of the JSS was a joke. It's slower and harder to read. To quote a midwest term it feels a little like "Putting lipstick on a pig". The problems we've dealt with on top of that have me longing for 9 at times.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

During my training on Jamf Pro 10, I was regularly thinking "oh god, if the interface stays this slow, shoot me".

I just upgraded my server to 10.5 this morning... it's definitely slower than my previous .9.99.

I could really do without all the "fancy" fade in and out bullshit. Just load the important stuff. If things are intelligently functional, I couldn't care less how it looks. When the "look" interferes with functionality, I go bonkers. I thought we were engineers?

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

We have a case open with Jamf (JAMF-0492670) and are still running 10.3.1 in Prod.

For us, there's only slowness when viewing Policies.

benducklow
Contributor III

@dan.snelson Thats where we are seeing the major degradation as well. I did open a case here too and it appears to be maybe something they are aware of (without coming forth and saying so of course) as they are now wanting to gather details on several things like JSS Summary, hardware specs and infrastructure setup.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for confirming, @benducklow.

The issue persists in 10.5.0-t1527689731.

marklamont
Contributor III

going from any 9.x to 10.x is definitely slower. we did some loads tests on empty jss and had interesting results regarding dropped transactions using api calls.
and each version does seem to get slower, our prod system is still on 9.101 which was a lot slower than 9.7 we upgraded it from. Looking forward to moving it up to 10.5 (or whatever) in a months time.

analog_kid
Contributor

I also noticed a degradation in performance (editing policies mostly) going from 10.3.x to 10.4.1.

benducklow
Contributor III

ALL - a little 'birdie' told me there has been an issue identified and a Product Issue (PI) is in the works for this... Obviously not fixed in 10.5.0, but perhaps the next incremental release?? I've been feeding support with data, logs, etc on my Jamf Pro setup and use here. I am hoping there may be some way to fix it manually...

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Yeah, im seeing the same thing. Takes forever to load anything in the JSS web interface

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

My STAM states we're most likely being affected by PI-005903.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@dan.snelson is there somewhere we can look that up?

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@Dylan_YYC To the best of my knowledge, it's an internal-only system which your Jamf support rep should be able to provide.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@dan.snelson Well, that helps us out..... haha thanks for letting me know!

benducklow
Contributor III

@dan.snelson @Dylan_YYC - Thats the same PI that we got. I am currently testing the manual 'cleanup process' via a supplied script from them. For reference there is this bug tracking list, but its not official; its user-driven:

JAMF PI/defects/bug list: https://goo.gl/zTdvwT

To submit a PI/defect/bug: http://goo.gl/forms/tEvpXJrZaj

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@benducklow Awesome! thank you! thats better then nothing!

benducklow
Contributor III

Has anyone in this thread upgraded from Jamf Pro v10.4.1 to a more recent release and have this issue go away? I have not, but rather spent many hours trying cleanup and performance things with Jamf Support with no change.

Curious to see what others have seen.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

We are on 10.7.1 cloud and it is still slow. Mobile Device Apps SLOW. Configuration Profiles SLOW. Moving to Management or History in Device Inventory SLOW.

Something needs to be done.

benducklow
Contributor III

Sorry to hear that @bvondeylen. Yeah, that's not a good thing to hear from a company looking to move to the cloud with them. The biggest area we are seeing performance issues with our on-premise JSS is with loading Policies.

Anyone else out there with an on-site instance where they've seen an improvement in slowness with an upgrade to a recent release?