Issues Netbooting MacBook Retina via deploystudio - the Destination Volume is too small :((

cindySingh
New Contributor III

Hi there, well, I could be dumb asking this but I never faced this before. Recently the new MBP Retina coming in our org is giving this error.
Here is what I get as log:

Running workflow: 'INSTALL IMAGE MAVERICKS' (B54433AA-18AD-475C-B78D-B1B834HG9GD) Hostname setup action: Task successful (elapsed time: 0.01 minutes) -> Hostname setup action completed. Restore action: Looking for the first available disk: Boot device='/dev/disk0' Repository device='(null)' >> '/dev/disk0': boot disk >> '/dev/disk22': ok /usr/sbin/diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk22 1 GPTFormat "Journaled HFS+" DS_DEV_DISK_X 1B 2>&1 Started partitioning on disk22 Unmounting disk Error: -69877: Couldn't open device /usr/sbin/diskutil mountDisk /dev/disk22 2>&1

Seems it is not able to partition it. Has anyone faced and idea to fix it? And yes, this is coming with 10.10 Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

althea
Contributor

Looks like it's reaching for "first available disk" and getting the recovery partition, which will definitely be too small for a full restore of Mavs. Try specifically selecting the correct partition before starting the restore.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

As the disk is being wiped I doubt 10.10 is causing it (although I could be wrong!). I assume the target Mac is being netted to DeployStudio?

Can you partition the disk using other tools like Disk Utility?

There is a chance that the new MacBook has a problem with the hard drive.

sean
Valued Contributor

Version of Deploy Studio? Perhaps you need a new netboot image, created with the latest version of DS and OS.

althea
Contributor

Looks like it's reaching for "first available disk" and getting the recovery partition, which will definitely be too small for a full restore of Mavs. Try specifically selecting the correct partition before starting the restore.

htse
Contributor III

The solid state is enumerated as disk22? That seems remarkably high. Use diskutil or Disk Utility to determine if the that's the correct target disk that it's trying to partition. The error is that it can't open that device disk22 to partition, which I would suspect isn't a physical disk.

cindySingh
New Contributor III

Hi [davidacland](davidacland) Yes I can and if i add additional step to partition and then image it works. This is happening on all Macs that have 10.10
Thanks Sean, I can cross the netboot image option, its the restore image step that has issues. I am try what others have suggested as well and get back :)
Thank you everyone. This is a super community and you guys are great!!!

cindySingh
New Contributor III

hi [htse](htse) you are right. I should try to find why the hell it is taking disk22.