iTunes error 12.7

jamfvijju
New Contributor III

Hello Team,

I am having a strange issue with iTunes when i try to install with composer tool with minimal script like below. After the installation when i try to launch the iTunes i get error attached.

Error "The installed version of FairPlay is not compatible with this version of iTunes. Please reinstall iTunes"
Error " An unknown error occurred (-42037)

sudo installer -pkg /private/tmp/Install iTunes.pkg -target /

If i run this script manually it works fine!

OS X: 10.11 and 10.12

Thanks
Vijendra

4 REPLIES 4

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

You shouldn't need to use Composer to package iTunes since there is a perfectly good .pkg available to download from Apple All you need to do is put that downloaded .pkg into Casper Admin and make a policy in the JSS that uses that .pkg file.

jamfvijju
New Contributor III

Hello AVmcclint,

We are suppressing couple of stuffs when we open the iTunes for the first time.

Any solution would be appreciated!

Thanks
Vijendra

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

What are you trying to suppress? Are you trying to just set initial preferences? If so, you can still use the iTunes installer from Apple, but use Composer to capture the .plist files that hold the settings and put those into a .DMG while setting the FUT and FEU options. You can then add both the iTunes.pkg and the settings .dmg to the same policy. Of course, the details of what your goal is will determine the steps you need to take for a successful iTunes upgrade. If you take a look inside the iTunes .pkg you get from Apple, you'll see it it quite expansive and way more than just the iTunes.app. There are components that install into /System/Library/ . Your package built by Composer may not be able to write to that location if SIP is enabled.

Cornoir
Contributor II

I work with jamfvijju and can provide more detail;
We need to package iTunes 12.7 installer with a PLSIT to supress the EULA, et al.
Previous versions have been created with needed PLIST as a package with no issues.

With iTunes 12.7 (& 12.7.1) once we install the pkg, opening iTunes results in the above listed errors.
We have a postinstall script that mounts the iTunes DMG, runs the Install Itunes.pkg then unmounts and deleters any tmp files used.

When we run the commands from the postinstall script manually everything works perfectly (no errors). However run those exact commands via the script in the pkg and the errors appear.

I have tried every option including;
Copying the DMG to /tmp then mounting it, then installing iTunes.
Copying the actual Install iTunes.pkg to /tmp and installing iTunes.

Commands work manually but not via a pkg.