JAMF at home

appleboy97
New Contributor

Hello All,

I know this might sound crazy, but I'm looking to deploy JAMF at home. I have 11 apple devices in my house, 3 Macs, 3 iPads, 4 iPhones, and an Apple TV. I assume it would be a long shot, but would it be possible to do this? I would really only need the web app "Self Service" but the other features will come in handy as well.

22 REPLIES 22

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

I often advocated to JAMF that they offer a 3-user "home license" for people who pass the CCA course.

In your above scenario, unless you're a CCA, I doubt JAMF would let you purchase licenses w/o the JumpStart. That's the one thing clients always try to negotiate away and the one thing that JAMF is absolute about.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well… I would personally view that as severe overkill (i.e. $$$ and effort). But sure, if you're willing to setup a JSS to manage those then of course it's possible.

I'm going to jump out on a limb here and assume that you're new to Casper and haven't setup a JSS before. Here's the deal. In order to get "Self-Service" up and running you'll need a JSS server that can host a MySQL database and the Tomcat webapp. This could be a Windows, Mac or Linux server depending on what you're comfortable with. You'll also have to package and prepare any policy that you want to run via "Self-Service". Even though that's certainly not difficult to setup, I can't imagine that managing 11 devices would in any way be made easier quicker or more efficient with Casper. (I certainly have more than that at home and wouldn't see the benefit). It's really a tool for managing several hundred to several thousand Apple Products.

What were you hoping it could do for you?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I wouldn't mind being able to use Casper at home, especially for MDM. Not so much for the Macs.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

RobertHammen I think there should be at least some kind of tiered discount for CCA, CMA, CJA holders. I like to run a complete home lab to test things out or just experiment with ideas. Sometimes that is just not feasible at your employer or if you are in between jobs and wish to stay current. The jumpstarts should be flexible depending on the situation. I've setup numerous JAMF environments and hold three certifications why should I pay full price to have someone tell me and show me what I already know. If you are going to come in and do advanced scripting then maybe, but judging by what was done at previous employer your mileage may vary. /rant

appleboy97
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to reply...I much appreciate it. I agree, Casper is probably overkill, I only asked because it works so well at work where we have it deployed, and I really like the ability to manage Mac and iOS all in one. Is there an alternative or something similar to Casper's "Self Service" portal that I could try? Thanks again for your help.

ToriAnneke
Contributor II

+1

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Wonder how a JAMF hosted solution would work (cost wise) for something like this... take the whole JSS setup out of the equation.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

For some that would probably be fine, for others (like me) the setup is one of the reasons we want to be able to run it at home. :)

--

althea
Contributor

I second both the reasons @jhbush1973 and @donmontalvo mention for wanting something like this. Folks that hold the CCA and/or CMA certs ought to be able to be able to get a discounted home setup if that's how they want to manage their personal fleet, test out some ideas for work or keep their knowledge current if they are between gigs.

justinworkman
Contributor

I'd like to add that I think a home use version of the entire Casper suite would be beneficial for CCAs. Maybe their 'trial' license covers this???

As to the OP - If you're willing to set up a server anyway, you could just set up an apache instance and make your own web page pointing to whatever apps, sites, docs, or whatever you wanted in self service. To my understanding, that is all self service basically is for iOS anyway. It would be a little more cumbersome to edit, but probably easier to set up initially.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

as referenced in another post. Check out bushel.com

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Has anyone gotten into that yet?

ctangora
Contributor III

+1 to counter tkimpton's -1.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

JAMF are generous enough to provide some licensing for test environment at home or but let's not forget they are for enterprises and education and not a home setup

I suggest you look at bushel like Chris suggested.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@ctangora][/url I'll see your +1 and raise you a +1.

(sorry @tkimpton)

--

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

ok see your re-inventing the wheel ffs!

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

you guys need to get out more at home, like the pub!

ctangora
Contributor III

I prefer a cantina.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I figure I already know Casper, and I have devices to manage, may as well use the tool I'm familiar with.

I checked out bushell.com and I'm guessing it's going to lure a lot of people in to the Casper fold.

Or, maybe...who knows...maybe bushell.com might be the beginnings of JSS 10?

I have absolutely no idea, that was just a wild guess, shooting from the hip, and just kidding...

<fingers-crossed>

Don

--

appleboy97
New Contributor

Wow! I really appreciate the discussion on the topic. I signed up for the beta group of bushel and will definitely give it a try when it comes available. Installing JSS and going through all of the process would be overkill for a home setting...

Thanks again everyone!

charles_edge
New Contributor

If anyone would like a code to http://www.bushel.com please let me know and I'll get one out asap. Additionally, we'll likely roll out the ability for current users to refer people and skip the codes within the next few days! Feel free to email me, tweet me, Facebook me, etc in the meantime.

Thanks!