Jamf Pro 10.42 Now Available

JustinV
Contributor

Hello Jamf Nation,

Today we are releasing Jamf Pro 10.42. Highlights of this release include:

Declarative Device Management Support

Apple's Declarative Device Management is a modern management protocol that allows managed devices to proactively and autonomously apply their own management settings with less communication from the Jamf Pro server. When you upgrade to Jamf Pro 10.42.0, Declarative Device Management is automatically enabled on eligible devices.

Configuration Profiles for Managed Login Items

Jamf Pro now includes two predefined configuration profiles containing Managed Login Items payloads, installed by default on eligible computers in System Settings > Privacy & Security > Profiles. These configuration profiles prevent end users from disabling certain background services of apps installed by Jamf in System Settings > General Settings > Login Items > Allow in the Background.

App Installers Enhancements

This release introduces several enhancements for App Installers.

To learn more about this release and the product issues it addresses, review the release notes here.

Cloud Upgrade Schedule

Your Jamf Pro server, including any free sandbox environments, will be updated to Jamf Pro 10.42 based on your hosted data region below. Review this guide if you need assistance identifying the Hosted Data Region of your Jamf Cloud instance.

Hosted Region Begins Ends
ap-southeast-2 21 October at 1300 UTC 21 October at 2200 UTC
ap-northeast-1 21 October at 1400 UTC 22 October at 0000 UTC
eu-central-1 21 October at 2200 UTC 22 October at 0800 UTC
eu-west-2 21 October at 2300 UTC 22 October at 0600 UTC
us-east-1-sandbox/us-west-2-sandbox 22 October at 0000 UTC 22 October at 0900 UTC
us-east-1 22 October at 0400 UTC 22 October at 1700 UTC
us-west-2 22 October at 0700 UTC 22 October at 2000 UTC
35 REPLIES 35

pduplissis
New Contributor II

Can you refresh my memory and tell me how to download the new version?

You can find it under the Products section in your jamf Account - https://account.jamf.com/products

Select your product and then go to t

pduplissis
New Contributor II

Scratch that - just had to look in the right place!

SteveSOE
New Contributor III

Where is the right place, out of interest? I've been searching for half an hour and still can't find where to download it.
I'm feeling a little daft to say the least!

Hi @SteveSOE

Log in to Jamf Account and navigate to the Products page for Jamf Pro. You'll find the downloads there.

Please let us know if you have other questions. Thanks

jbutler47
Contributor II

@JustinV  Can you repost the dates/times grid as the end portion is not clearly seen. Thanks.

JustinV
Contributor
Hosted Region Begins Ends
ap-southeast-2 21 October at 1300 UTC 21 October at 2200 UTC
ap-northeast-1 21 October at 1400 UTC 22 October at 0000 UTC
eu-central-1 21 October at 2200 UTC 22 October at 0800 UTC
eu-west-2 21 October at 2300 UTC 22 October at 0600 UTC
us-east-1-sandbox/us-west-2-sandbox 22 October at 0000 UTC 22 October at 0900 UTC
us-east-1 22 October at 0400 UTC 22 October at 1700 UTC
us-west-2 22 October at 0700 UTC 22 October at 2000 UTC

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

are those end dates correct or do I need more coffee. cos looking at this it ends before it begins? 

Hey @jamf-42, no additional coffee needed as you are correct about this call out! Thanks for bringing it up. 

killer23d
Contributor

Can you please elaborate on the https://docs.jamf.com/10.42.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/Important_Notices.html about Removal of Unverified SSL Cert? 

We are on-prem and have a wildcard SSL on our RHEL server that JAMF is running on. Within PKI Certificates settings, I only have Jamf Pro Built-in CA and Other under CA. Do I need to take action before upgrade?

All 3 boxes under User-Initated enrollment are unticked.

Hi! Nope, based on that description you should be all good to go—environments with a trusted 3rd-party cert will just continue on as usual upon upgrading, no action required. Thanks for the comment!

Interesting, while I am troubleshooting with support for another issue, I inquired about this particular issue. He said "As an on-premise environment, you will need to get the 3rd party certificate. You can safely upgrade to 10.41, but beyond that, you should get the 3rd party certificate."

So... do I need a third party cert to install to Jamf Pro or not?

ike
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

It is a good idea to get a 3rd party SSL certificate, but it is not required for 10.42.0. The jamf client side processes will require a trusted connection, so in some situations an admin may need to manually add that trust to the mac for a file share distribution point, for example. 

Jay_007
Contributor

Allow computers to install Rapid Security Responses

This setting displays in Restrictions > Functionality.

When selected, Install system data files and security updates in System Settings > Software Update > Advanced is enabled to install software updates without user interaction.

I'd like to know more about this behaviour. What happens if a reboot is required?

The rapid security response updates will not require reboots. From Apple's Newsroom article about Ventura:

• macOS security gets even stronger with new tools that make the Mac more resistant to attack, including Rapid Security Response that works in between normal updates to easily keep security up to date without a reboot.

elliots
New Contributor III

So you couldnt manage to build the UI for the Managed login items ? Kandji did. About the Login & Background Items Library Item : Kandji

Cmon Jamf

Yeah, quite a shame that Jamf dropped the ball on this one.

beareye321
New Contributor II

Hi, I can't seem to find the button to retry all failed App Installer installations? Is this gone? 

Had an issue with the UI layout on my screen as I transitioned from a larger screen back to my laptop screen. The button is still there. 

telloalj
New Contributor

We have VERSION 10.42.0-t1665776579 and appears very glitchy specially under configuration profiles, anyone experiencing that? 

jsalmon
New Contributor

Has anyone else experienced Self Service failing to download policies? We have Jamf Cloud with on-site distribution points,  getting "Could not connect to the HTTP server to download" and "The network connection was interrupted while downloading the package" for all apps that we have tested.

I believe HTTPS are requirement for the 10.42 on local DP. That is also something I want to get some assistance on because I have DP running HTTP on Mac Mini w/ built-in Apache. I just don't know how to get an SSL cert for our non-FQDN hostnames.

kay-_-
New Contributor III

Has the PI110425 (Jamf not working with MySQL 8.0.30 or higher) been resolved?

Hi @kay-_- 

It has. Here's the full list of fixes: https://docs.jamf.com/10.42.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/Resolved_Issues.html

Please let us know if you have other questions. Thanks

bkogut
New Contributor II

Please change the settings back as they were.  This change is very bad and completely unnecessary.  It makes no sense that now if my browser window is slightly smaller that I have to scroll sideways to see additional settings, the font is so small I now have to enlarge the screen, and overall the change just looks like a change to make a change.  With so many inconsistencies in the product I'm shocked this time/effort was put on something that was so unnecessary.  

bkogut
New Contributor II

Who made this change and said "yeah this looks better??"

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 3.17.29 PM.png

kay-_-
New Contributor III

I totally agree. Why take something that was intuitive and people are familiar with and turn it into something totally confusing, half-baked and honestly it doesn't look good. Please bring back the old design.

And honestly you guys at JAMF should spend your time fixing your buggy system and adding useful things like a UI for the Managed login items instead of wasting it on something that nobody asked for.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

Why take something that was intuitive and people are familiar with and turn it into something totally confusing, half-baked”

System Settings 🙄

kay-_-
New Contributor III

I meant design/UI-wise.

Wholeheartedly agree with you.

montreyjackson1
New Contributor

Is anyone else experiencing issues with device records not pulling up in 10.42.0?  The web page just spins when opening certain device records.

Yes, we have multiple S/N we can't load, and I have an active ticket with Jamf to fix this. First they asked if they could take down our Jamf instance to fix the issue, I said yes, then I got a reply from another staff asking me to do more troubleshooting instead of taking down the instance to fix the problem.

Really wonder sometimes about their support. 

I am chatting with support now and this is the response I got:

Can we grab screenshots of this behavior? Unfortunately, this is a known issue that has started to occur after we updated Jamf Pro to 10.42At the moment, there is no PI for this issue since this issue is fairly new. We also do not have any information regarding a timeline but are aware that a fix is being worked on at the moment. At the moment we are unaware of a workaround. We can try enabling “Debug mode” within Jamf Pro Settings > Information > Jamf Pro Server Logs. We can try to navigate to the device record to see if it will load.

That is so lame and terrible service for a paid product. If the changes you introduced cause database issues, revert the changes, don't put everyone in limbo "until a fix is ready".

I did all that, debug mode, sent server logs, etc. 

Support has given us a workaround for the issue we are seeing when some device records are viewed in Jamf Pro, they spin infinitely and never load. There is now a Product Issue PI110632 for this issue.  The workaround is running a MySQL query to update the "Priority" column for devices that do not have a priority.  Essentially the MySQL query will just update the affected table's priority to have a priority.

jhuls
Contributor III

Rough update for us. First, package downloads broke with error -1200. Word from our onsite applications support group and a few calls with Jamf was that the cipher suite needed updating. We get that addressed after almost a week of trying to get the right assistance from Jamf and now we're seeing the problem of not being able to pull up device info on various iPads. Hoping 10.42.1 fixes this.