Jamf Pro VS Fleetsmith

aswad
New Contributor

Hi all,

We are currently deciding on either purchasing JAMF Pro or Fleetsmith and need to make a decision soon. I was wondering if anyone here has experience using both of these products, which one do you prefer and why? Can someone kindly provide a link to pros and cons as I am unable to find anything?

I currently manage 70 Apple Mac users with Active Directory which will rise to over 150 mid next year. We are also looking to roll out similar quantity iOS mobile devices. The more the security features, the better.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

I have to admit, I'd never heard of Fleetsmith until you mentioned it.

There is some discussion about the two products here, which might be a good place to start?

garybidwell
Contributor III

Going to hear a lot more about it now that Apple have purchase Fleetsmith

https://blog.fleetsmith.com/fleetsmith-acquired-by-apple/

shaquir
Contributor III

I haven't gone much further then setting up the initial Fleetsmith trial. To me it definitely takes on the more simplistic MDM approach with a Jamf Now feel. I appreciate how much everything in Fleetsmith is clearly outlined

adb5fc78d3f04b798eeeb2358e1a150f

6550be92e1db41bea886f7dbf3ac4e36

Jamf has been adding a lot of features to make it easier to manage i.e Jamf Pro Release Notes 10.22.0

002f8e8ad1ca4ed2934c93269c9aeb5a

Jamf will probably require a lot more time, training, and skill to get up and running. Also, judging on Apple's "End User First" approach, a lot of Jamf's "advantages" may be stripped down even further in upcoming macOS releases.

In Fleetsmith's recent email about upcoming changes, I did find it interesting that they'll no longer host Custom App :

a901de7671f242518d25906b57327b82

tomt
Valued Contributor
Posted: 6/24/2020 at 11:45 AM CDT by garybidwell Going to hear a lot more about it now that Apple have purchase Fleetsmith

I don't know about that, it's Apple, we may never hear from Fleetsmith again. LOL

garybidwell
Contributor III

Agreed, could end up like FinalCut Server, Shake or another product that disappeared not long after being acquired.

mhegge
Contributor III

Many Fleetsmith client reported a massive loss of features upon the announcement. Bad form.