JAMF Remote Screen Sharing

dnelson2813
Contributor

The screen sharing functionality of JAMF Remote is unreliable and I really hate it. I was just screen sharing with someone. She had to restart. When she logged back in, I tried to reconnect and it just hangs on Starting Screen Sharing. Does anyone know what causes this? I tried to launch the screen sharing application and reconnect with the IP and it just says Connection Failed. I was JUST connected to her? I'm running JAMF 10.6. The computer is running 10.13.6.
5f4a84d2460a4f1db7aca8ff84511191

4 REPLIES 4

rwinfie
Contributor

login with SSH and restart the service

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -restart -agent -menu

dnelson2813
Contributor

I tried that and the SSH command just hangs. I'm going to have to just log into it to see what's going on.

JustDeWon
Contributor III

When I use to deal with this headache, it was due to the JAMF screensharing account wasn't automatically deleting from the user's machine after the session ended. Basically when each session is started, the screensharing account gets created in /Users and in /var, so when the session ends, it's supposed to remove those accounts. If it doesn't, it'll just hang on "Starting Screensharing", so creating an EA checking for those accounts and deleting it if it exists was my resolve on that.

el2493
Contributor III

@JustDeWon thanks so much for posting this! I had been having this issue for a few days (a computer previously worked for Remote then randomly hung at Starting Screen Sharing... after a restart) and couldn't figure it out. When I checked the computer's inventory record (which had been updated recently) I confirmed that it still listed the sharing account. After creating a Policy to delete it and having that Policy run, I was able to connect again.