jamfAAD continues to request enrollment even though already completed

robertoa
New Contributor III

Users that have already properly enrolled into Intune and completed enrollment continue to get pop ups of jamfAAD. 

robertoa_0-1660669480515.png

I have verified in Intune that the device is enrolled AND the policy was completed successfully in JAMF. This pop up continues to run and request users to continue. This sometimes disrupts end user workflows or presentations while on a zoom call. Is there a setting possible in the profile where I can set the retry option to 0 if already successfully completed. I've tried flushing the logs, delete the device from Intune, then re-enroll the mac back but users still get prompted. Even when I've un-scoped the policy from the user they still get the pop up. Possibly coming form the Intune side? I'm open to any ideas. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

To clear that prompt, I ran the script below, removed Company Portal App, and removed the device from InTune. In your case, you'd re-enroll into Intune and see if it's better from a clean slate.

Forgot where I found the script below, but thank you to that person.

#!/bin/bash
#macOS WPJ and jamfAAD item clean up
#By Bryce Carlson - 3/2/2021
#
#This script will remove the Workplace Join items made by Company Portal durring a device registration. It will also clear the jamfAAD items from the gatherAADInfo command run after a sucessful WPJ
#Clearing this data will allow for a re-registration devices side.
#
#NOTE: THIS SCRIPT WILL NOT CLEAR AZURE AD RECORDS (those are created by Company Portal). IT MAY CLEAR MEM RECORDS IF A JAMFAAD GATHER AAD INFO COMMAND RUNS AFTER THIS AS THE AAD ID IS NOW MISSING. THIS WILL RESULT IN A DEACTIVATION OF THE DEVICE RECORD SENT FROM JAMF PRO TO AAD (AND AAD TO MEM).
#
#variable to run as current user
currentuser=`stat -f "%Su" /dev/console`
#
#variable for current logged in user AAD ID cert. and WPJ key
AAD_ID=$(su "$currentuser" -c "security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS" | awk '/\"alis\"<blob>=\"/ {print $NF}' | sed 's/ \"alis\"<blob>=\"//;s/.$//'")
#CERT_BY_SHA=$(su "$currentuser" -c "security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS" | grep "SHA-1" | awk '{print $3}'")
#
echo "Removing keychain password items for jamfAAD"
#jamfAAD items
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.jamf.management.jamfAAD'"
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac.savedState
rm -r /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Cookes/com.jamf.management.jamfAAD.binarycookies
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.jamf.management.jamfAAD.savedState
su "$currentuser" -c "/Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Jamf.app/Contents/MacOS/JamfAAD.app/Contents/MacOS/JamfAAD clean"
#
echo "Removing keychain password items for Company Portal app (v2.6 and higher with new com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac bundle ID)"
#Company Portal app items
rm -r /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Cookies/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.binarycookies
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.savedState
rm -r /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.plist
rm -r /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.plist
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Application\ Support/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Application\ Support/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.usercontext.info
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.CompanyPortal'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.CompanyPortal.HockeySDK'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.adalcache'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'enterpriseregistration.windows.net'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://device.login.microsoftonline.com'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://device.login.microsoftonline.com/' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://enterpriseregistration.windows.net' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://enterpriseregistration.windows.net/' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -a 'com.microsoft.workplacejoin.thumbprint' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -a 'com.microsoft.workplacejoin.registeredUserPrincipalName' "
#
echo "Removing WPJ for Device AAD ID $AAD_ID for $currentuser"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-identity -c $AAD_ID"
#echo "Removing WPJ for Device AAD ID $AAD_ID for $currentuser from SHA hash $CERT_BY_HASH"
#
echo "Please REBOOT this macOS device to re-load the login.keychain and re-run the Azure Registration via Self Service AFTER you ensure device removal from AAD and MEM server side."
exit 0

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

To clear that prompt, I ran the script below, removed Company Portal App, and removed the device from InTune. In your case, you'd re-enroll into Intune and see if it's better from a clean slate.

Forgot where I found the script below, but thank you to that person.

#!/bin/bash
#macOS WPJ and jamfAAD item clean up
#By Bryce Carlson - 3/2/2021
#
#This script will remove the Workplace Join items made by Company Portal durring a device registration. It will also clear the jamfAAD items from the gatherAADInfo command run after a sucessful WPJ
#Clearing this data will allow for a re-registration devices side.
#
#NOTE: THIS SCRIPT WILL NOT CLEAR AZURE AD RECORDS (those are created by Company Portal). IT MAY CLEAR MEM RECORDS IF A JAMFAAD GATHER AAD INFO COMMAND RUNS AFTER THIS AS THE AAD ID IS NOW MISSING. THIS WILL RESULT IN A DEACTIVATION OF THE DEVICE RECORD SENT FROM JAMF PRO TO AAD (AND AAD TO MEM).
#
#variable to run as current user
#
#variable for current logged in user AAD ID cert. and WPJ key
AAD_ID=$(su "$currentuser" -c "security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS" | awk '/\"alis\"<blob>=\"/ {print $NF}' | sed 's/ \"alis\"<blob>=\"//;s/.$//'")
#CERT_BY_SHA=$(su "$currentuser" -c "security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS" | grep "SHA-1" | awk '{print $3}'")
#
echo "Removing keychain password items for jamfAAD"
#jamfAAD items
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.jamf.management.jamfAAD'"
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac.savedState
rm -r /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Cookes/com.jamf.management.jamfAAD.binarycookies
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.jamf.management.jamfAAD.savedState
su "$currentuser" -c "/Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Jamf.app/Contents/MacOS/JamfAAD.app/Contents/MacOS/JamfAAD clean"
#
echo "Removing keychain password items for Company Portal app (v2.6 and higher with new com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac bundle ID)"
#Company Portal app items
rm -r /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Cookies/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.binarycookies
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.savedState
rm -r /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.plist
rm -r /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.plist
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Application\ Support/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac
rm -rf /Users/"$currentuser"/Library/Application\ Support/com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac.usercontext.info
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.CompanyPortal'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.CompanyPortalMac'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.CompanyPortal.HockeySDK'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'com.microsoft.adalcache'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'enterpriseregistration.windows.net'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://device.login.microsoftonline.com'"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://device.login.microsoftonline.com/' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://enterpriseregistration.windows.net' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -l 'https://enterpriseregistration.windows.net/' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -a 'com.microsoft.workplacejoin.thumbprint' "
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-generic-password -a 'com.microsoft.workplacejoin.registeredUserPrincipalName' "
#
echo "Removing WPJ for Device AAD ID $AAD_ID for $currentuser"
su "$currentuser" -c "security delete-identity -c $AAD_ID"
#echo "Removing WPJ for Device AAD ID $AAD_ID for $currentuser from SHA hash $CERT_BY_HASH"
#
echo "Please REBOOT this macOS device to re-load the login.keychain and re-run the Azure Registration via Self Service AFTER you ensure device removal from AAD and MEM server side."
exit 0

Samstar777
Contributor II

Hello @robertoa 

I just want to clarify below that Jamf AAD prompt is something which can come and thats normal, please read below information and feel free to reach me if you need any additional resources as well.

Once the initial registration is completed jamfAAD continues to run in the background and has to authenticate every 24 hours to Azure to confirm the Azure AD record is still intact and confirm the AAD Device ID. Why? Well, because it has to report it to JPRO as proof of the integrity of the registration, and the activity of the device.

This is why we have the WPJ key and cached credentials. jamfAAD actually authenticates silently to Azure and uses the items in the keychain to do so. As long as the WPJ key is ok, the Azure AD record is intact, the device is online (to contact Azure), the cached password is valid…. all is well. jamfAAD silently authenticates, gets the Device ID, reports it to JPRO, JPRO sends inventory data to Intune… everyone happy. (Quick note: JPRO only sends an inventory update to MEM when something changed..)

However, whenever this silent authentications fails, for whatever reason, jamfAAD will go into interactive mode and prompt the end user to authenticate again! This is 100% normal and expected behaviour. Furthermore, there are other situations where Azure may even instruct jamfAAD to go in interactive mode, such as an expired MFA lifetime.

- Sam

@Samstar777 that means JamfAAD is required for Jamf pro (on prem)? In my situation I able to complete the registration via company portal and then JamfAAD popup and asking for Azure Athentication though my device is showing on register complete (on endpoint) and on portal device is showing registered with azure AD. This is the error I am getting after put my Azur authentication

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 2.39.13 PM.png

And then showed registration failed

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 2.41.26 PM.png

In this situation what I am missing, please help me. Another thing is looks like I couldn't push conditional policy from Intune on Azure register device. Any help is appriciated

MathiasO
New Contributor II

Hey Sam!

Do we have any chance to troubleshoot, why some Devices nearly daily gets those prompts?
Without cleaning the registration?

We just started registering the Devices to Intune via JPRO and some Users are already annoyed :D

Thanks!

pete_c
Contributor III

You might consider filing feedback or opening a ticket with Microsoft.  In my testing, I have found that the entire enrollment process is cumbersome and badly worded, and I'd like better visibility and control into the timing and need for these re-enrollment prompts.

robertoa
New Contributor III

MSFT ticket was submitted the other day. They are still gathering initial info like device ID and type of enrollment.

sakul
New Contributor III

As of Jamf 10.43+ the JamfAAD app no longer exists and was replaced by "Jamf Conditional Access", which still accepts the "clean" argument and still get's the job done.

In the above script from @obi-k just replace the line

with

su "$currentuser" -c "/Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Jamf.app/Contents/MacOS/Jamf\ Conditional\ Access.app/Contents/MacOS/Jamf\ Conditional\ Access clean"

And watch out for the "Cookes" typo in 

@sakul is this part work?

For me it just stuck here forever. I am on macOS Ventura

sakul
New Contributor III

Yes it does, but since you mentioned it... get rid of the space here in the sed command:

...s/ \"alis...

Also try running just the first part as the user that did the initial registration

security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS"

You should get something like this in the output

attributes:

"alis"<blob>="#######-####-####-####-##########"

If this line is missing then you don't have a registered AAD_ID.

Thanks @sakulI get 

attributes:
    "alis"<blob>="#######-####-####-####-##########"

when Ran only 

security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS"

Which mean device register with AAD_ID but couldn't grab those. But If I run following

AAD_ID=$(su "$currentuser" -c "security find-certificate -a -Z | grep -B 9 "MS-ORGANIZATION-ACCESS")

echo $AAD_ID

that was running forever. Any suggestion

sakul
New Contributor III

This script is meant to run as the Jamf management user. The "su" command then impersonated the currently logged in user ($currentuser).

If you execute it in terminal then you're basically trying to impersonate yourself, which is why you're getting stuck.

Thanks for that clarification. I got that Alias when I set EA for AAD_ID and ran from Jamf. One more question for this line: 

I couldn't see that folder named Cookes/ cookies here: /Users/$currentuser/Lubrary

Anny suggestion on this?

And another question is what these two lines are doing if you can explain please

And

su "$currentuser" -c "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Jamf.app/Contents/MacOS/Jamf Conditional Access.app/Contents/MacOS/Jamf Conditional Access clean"

sakul
New Contributor III

That folder should be "Cookies". It's just a typo in the original script.

su "$currentuser" -c means "run following command as $currentuser"

"security delete-generic-password -l 'com.jamf.management.jamfAAD'" means remove password from keychain with the label 'com.jamf.management.jamfAAD'

"Jamf Conditional Access" is an tool to manage Conditional Access

Jamf Conditional Access collects device and user Azure Active Directory ID values and reports them to the Jamf Pro server.
Usage:
  Jamf Conditional Access [-verbose] <command>
Available Commands:
  clean               Removes the Azure AD token from the user's keychain and the user's preferences from the preferences directory
  gatherAADInfo       Collect AAD information and send it to Jamf Pro server; use -disable-cache-read to always connect to Azure
  help                Print this help message
  registerWithIntune  Launches Microsoft Company Portal. If user successfully registers with Intune, gatherAADInfo runs.
  version             Print the version of Jamf Conditional Access

Jacek_ADC
Contributor

HI Guys, someone an idea, why the jamf conditional access app doesnt start with the authentication after running the device registration with the company portal app. The step with the company portal app runs fine. the second step for the conditional access app doesnt work.

Explanation:

I test on 3 devices.

two of this devices are running with my user and the same setup

on one macbook the registration went fine (twice)

on the other macbook the registration stops after the company portal.

How can i check if the conditional access app is installed on a macbook and how to ensure, that the conditional access app starts after device registering with company portal app.6.png7.png

Jacek_ADC
Contributor

Temporary some issues are found in this process. 

Temporary solution is

sudo jamf manage (before starting the azure registration with company portal)

husnudagidir
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone been able to solve this problem somehow? Although I asked both Jamf and Microsoft about this, I could not get a satisfactory answer or solution. Especially the Microsoft side is having a hard time understanding the problem. Is the main source of this problem Jamf Pro? Is it wrong for me to ask the Microsoft side a question? If anyone has found a solution can you please help me? I had to suspend a huge project right now. This pop-up is very annoying.

sharif_khan
Contributor II

Hi @husnudagidir 

For me this problem has been resolved. To resolve that we had to make chrome default with a profile and also we make a change in MS Azure for Jamf App like gave permission to access MS Azure from Jamf.

In our environment, Chrome is already used as the default browser. However, I can say that I do not fully understand the situation in the other sentence you said. I mean the following sentence.

"we make a change in MS Azure for Jamf App like gave permission to access MS Azure from Jamf."

Can you elaborate a little more on what exactly you do here? Because of this problem, our administrators may decide to completely remove Jamf Pro from the environment. So I urgently need a permanent solution. I would be very grateful if you could help.

sharif_khan
Contributor II

@husnudagidir 

You have to follow this document: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/protect/conditional-access-integrate-jamf and work with Azure AD for "Create an application in Azure Active Directory" from steps 1 through 16. Here step # 6 to Step # 11 is the part i was talking about. Here your Azure Admin needs to give permission to access Jamf API to access MS Azure AD to avoid that pop-up. I hope I able to make you understand.

Hi,

Actually, I remember doing these steps. Is the following field configured in your environment? I didn't do that. Because it has been said that this feature will be discontinued. I only did it by configuring the Device Compliance part.