JDS on CentOS

charliwest
Contributor II

Hello,

Anyone have a good trick on how I could install a JDS on a centos VM instead of RH or Ubuntu?

I noticed @winningham.2, you mentioned on github that you were trying to get net/sus and ids working together on centos, maybe you could point me the right way?

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sosnovsken
New Contributor III

@jack_bishop][/url][/url has it right. Run this:

echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)" > '/etc/redhat-release'

I had to run the echo command as root. Sudo didn't work for some reason, so I did "sudo su".

You may also have to install dmidecode (it wasn't included in our minimal centos image):

sudo yum install dmidecode -y

I now have a JDS up and running on centos. Those two commands were the only special prep the server required.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

stevehahn
Contributor

Is there any info available on this? I need to deploy a remote JDS and CentOS is the only Linux available to me in that environment.

sosnovsken
New Contributor III

I'm working on this right now. I've gotten about half way through changing the correct items. Right now I've got it so the script will run. The problem is the program that does the actual enrollments is a binary (I think) and has version checking logic as well. I'm impressed with how difficult this is, given that the JSS installs on CentOS just fine...

charliwest
Contributor II

I made this, please go vote it up if you like the idea https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2126

PeterClarke
Contributor II

I am not really familiar with these Linux variants..

What - if anything - is the advantage of doing this ?
( Not wanting to start a platform war or anything.. In this case I really don't know why one one system might be considered better then another.. It's not an area that I have researched )

I would like to get some idea why you think it's worth the bother..

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Centos is derived from Red Hat source code, but it's fully open-source as opposed to RH's subscription-based model. I think that's the main reason it's so popular - we use Centos on several servers here for different tasks, and I'll probably be going to Centos for our JSS migration. (I did my early testing on Centos, and it worked great after just a few tweaks.)

millersc
Valued Contributor

CentOS is a truly stable platform to use, but I see the problem being there is no good documentation associated with the JDS or how to "tweak" it for most admins.

Most documentation is really superior with JAMF, this is the one spot I see failing. Just my $.02

charliwest
Contributor II

@PeterClarke for me its not so much a personal preference, its what we use here so it's what I need it on :) or buy another OS X device for this as it's for a kit we use to move around with for conferences a cents VM would be way easier.

jack_bishop
New Contributor III

How is it checking the OS? You might just be able to change the text of the /etc/redhat-release file.

CentOS:
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

RHEL:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)

sosnovsken
New Contributor III

@jack_bishop][/url][/url has it right. Run this:

echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)" > '/etc/redhat-release'

I had to run the echo command as root. Sudo didn't work for some reason, so I did "sudo su".

You may also have to install dmidecode (it wasn't included in our minimal centos image):

sudo yum install dmidecode -y

I now have a JDS up and running on centos. Those two commands were the only special prep the server required.