JDS RHEL - Transferring 13gb package to JDS

Carlos
New Contributor

Wondering if anyone else has come across this. I have a JDS running on RHEL, I initially tried to transfer an Adobe CC package that was about 14GB in size via Casper Admin...that didn't seem to work correctly, I Google'd looking for possible reasons why and I came across a few posts that Casper Admin has problems transferring packages larger than 10GB, that I would need to do a manual transfer. So I opened a Terminal to the JDS and used RSYNC to transfer the file over. It transfer into the CasperShare folder without any problems, when I run sudo jamfds inventory it gets deleted and I not sure why. When I look at the jamf.log, i see this line:

2015-01-15 11:04:28,079 INFO Deleting package "Adobe_CS_Video_2014_DEC_Install.pkg.zip"

And then it completes sending inventory to the JSS.

I then go into the JSS, and of course, looking at the JDS instance it doesn't show any packages. Not sure what's going on and/or how else to get this package onto the JDS.

I am running Casper Suite 9.63.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I'm able to upload a Creative Cloud package (just about 13GB as well) with Casper Admin without an issue. It takes a long time to sync to the JDS usually - sometimes 20-30 minutes - but it works in the end. The only difference I can think of is that my JDS is on Ubuntu LTS and not RHEL.

If you add the package using Casper Admin and then run "jamfds policy" and "jamfds inventory" on the JDS, then wait a while, does that get you anywhere?

View solution in original post

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Also, when transferring large files like that, once it is done in Casper Admin, it still needs to replicate from the database to the JDS. So closing CA and re-opening CA right away, the package will show up red. Once the replication is done from the database to the JDS, then it will show up properly.

The process for uploading files to the JDS is for the file to upload to the jamfsoftware database, and then replicate over to the JDS. It is not until it is on the JDS that it will show up properly.

I would upload it via Casper Admin and then wait an hour and check again. If it is still red, wait a little longer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I'm able to upload a Creative Cloud package (just about 13GB as well) with Casper Admin without an issue. It takes a long time to sync to the JDS usually - sometimes 20-30 minutes - but it works in the end. The only difference I can think of is that my JDS is on Ubuntu LTS and not RHEL.

If you add the package using Casper Admin and then run "jamfds policy" and "jamfds inventory" on the JDS, then wait a while, does that get you anywhere?

Carlos
New Contributor

I am trying to upload it again now via Casper Admin. Once the upload finishes, I'll try to run jamfds policy and jamfds inventory on the JDS and see what happens. What happened the first time I tried to upload it, it finished uploading and when I closed Casper Admin and re-opened it the package was marked in red and under "type" it had changed from "Apple install" (i think that's what it said) to "Unknown"....and then when I looked at the JDS instance on the JSS it stuck with showing 1 file waiting....but I'll try the policy and inventory commands on the JDS when this upload finishes and let you know the outcome. Thanks for the response bvrooman

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

You also need to create a package in the JSS web interface if you are going to add it directly to the JDS or else it will think it was a deleted package and try to sync that deletion to the JDS.

Carlos
New Contributor

Thanks for the response @msblake, that actually may have been the issue than. I wasn't creating the package in the JSS web interface....so you are saying that before I manually transfer the file to the JDS CasperShare folder I would need to add the package via the JSS web interface and upload it through there...than I can do a manual transfer, run jamfds inventory and it wouldn't delete it? I am trying the Casper Admin route again now...but if this fails again I'll try what you suggested.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

You don't necessarily need to upload a package through the web interface since you're going to rsync it though.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Also, when transferring large files like that, once it is done in Casper Admin, it still needs to replicate from the database to the JDS. So closing CA and re-opening CA right away, the package will show up red. Once the replication is done from the database to the JDS, then it will show up properly.

The process for uploading files to the JDS is for the file to upload to the jamfsoftware database, and then replicate over to the JDS. It is not until it is on the JDS that it will show up properly.

I would upload it via Casper Admin and then wait an hour and check again. If it is still red, wait a little longer.

dkucmierz
Contributor

I haven't worked with JDS much, but just checked ours... You probably need to copy the package along with the hidden hash file contained in the CasperShare folder.

In our caspershare in jds, for each package there is a file with the naming scheme: .package_name.MD5HASH

sh-3.2# pwd
/Library/JDS/shares/CasperShare
sh-3.2# sudo ls -al | grep "Xcode 5.0.2.pkg"
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Jan 6 2014 .Xcode 5.0.2.pkg.CDA58E592A6EB171034ADDC47ECB33B8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2293327590 Jan 6 2014 Xcode 5.0.2.pkg
sh-3.2#

Carlos
New Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like I was working faster than Casper runs...I uploaded it via Casper Admin, once it finished uploading it took about 45 minutes to hit the JDS...all is working now. Looks like I was in too much of rush the first time around :).