JSS 9.6 / SG not updating

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I have a machine where I cached the pkg onto the box, which put it in the correct SG, but now that the pkg is installed, the machine didn't drop out of the SG, I checked the Waiting Room folder and it's empty, and the last check in was '1 minute ago', though the last inventory was yesterday... So i did a jamf recon -verbose, and re-checked the SG, and it still shows the machine in the SG, and the last inventory was still listed as yesterday...

7 REPLIES 7

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

Couple of questions so that we can get a better understanding of what is happening.

1) When you have the package installed, you are selecting Cached Installed?
2) To create the smart group, you will have to initially cache the package to the a computer the first time for you to be able to create the smart group?
3) When you create the smart group, are you selecting "Packages Installed By Casper"

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

yes. It worked on my desktop test box. I was just trying again with a laptop.

strangely, I click the ellipsis and select the name then it drops out of the group as expected. But I had already done that for this group to get it to recognize the package was there in the first place. The only change I made was for the asset tag of the test machine, the package was the same.

I will keep poking at it with a sharp stick and see if I can get it work.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

part of my script is that it flushes policy history. could that be it?
when i check the device details, nothing shows up in package receipts, no installed by casper, no cached, nothing...

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

hmm, i removed all the flushing, but the jss still shows no receipts or anything. that's the only thing I can think of...
hmm

anybody know if the creasteosxinstall thing flushes logs?

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

are you running an inventory after you are installing the cached package, this should cause the machine to drop out of the SG.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

just verified that I am after the initial cache. I'm not after the self service install, but I would assume that after the machine images that it would run a recon at some point (JSS knows it's on 10.10), but the SG still insists that the package is in the waiting room. I've verified it's not though. Further, the package receipts are all missing from the JSS (and I verified they are missing from /Library/Receipts). I removed every log flush I could find from my script, so i don't know where the receipt flush is coming from. Those two things (no receipts and not dropping out of the SG after the install) are what seems to be holding me up at this point, I think the initial cache was resolved.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

some further testing, I deleted a machine out of the JSS, and imaged with 10.10 w/o any scripts, just my InstaDMG version of the image, and some pre-existing packages (java, firefox, chrome, etc) and the receipts folder / jss both report no receipts.

Then I imaged a 10.9.5 build on different hardware, and it shows the same thing, no receipts.