JSS 9.62 and Yosemite

mjohnston
New Contributor

Hi All.
Wanted to report some weirdness I've come across with a Yosemite machine.
I just upgraded to JSS 9.62 so I could start allowing users to upgrade to Yosemite.
I used the "Mac app store apps" area of the JSS GUI to host the Yosemite update in Self Service.
Although it asks the user for an Apple ID and admin creds which is not ideal, it worked well.

What I'm finding is that this first beta users machine is not not reporting 10.10.1 to the JSS.
It is also not reporting its encryption status.

These 2 items are not deal breakers however I would really like to keep a track of who has upgraded to Yosemite and Encryption status is pretty important to us too.

7 REPLIES 7

btaniyama
New Contributor

You can use @rtrouton's Extension Attribute to report FV2 status on Yosemite. https://github.com/rtrouton/rtrouton_scripts/tree/master/rtrouton_scripts/filevault_2_encryption_check/Casper%20Extension%20Attribute

As far as the machine not reporting 10.10.1, has you run a recon or has an inventory update run yet? I heard about some issues with the JSS reporting incorrectly when there are custom fields in the Inventory Collection, but YMMV on that.

Finally, it sounds like you may have added Yosemite in Self Service as a Mac App Store link, where asking for an AppleID would be expected behavior. You'll need to build the upgrade using your preferred method. Here's is JAMF webinar on the subject: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/webinar/painless-os-upgrades-with-the-casper-suite/

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

For Yosemite deployments I've been testing https://github.com/munki/createOSXinstallPkg. It works really well for fully unattended deployments and doesn't need the user to touch the app store.

Regarding 10.10.1 and 9.62, I've got two sites using this configuration and the reporting in functionality is ok for me. I would check the jamf.log on the client to see if there is an indication why its not working. You could also try a ```
sudo jamf recon
``` from the terminal which will give you some good feedback on success / failures.

mjohnston
New Contributor

Thanks guys. Running the sudo jamf recon command on this machine then got it to update the machine info on the JSS.
What do you think is the best way to automate this? Somehow create a policy around it?
Thanks
Matt

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

The update inventory policy should already be doing that. Recon is handy just so you can see if and why an inventory update is failing.

It could be a coincidence that sudo jamf recon worked that time.

mjohnston
New Contributor

OK I'll give it a shot.
I created a policy with Maintenance > update inventory.
Trigger startup and login - Ongoing
Scope all computers.

So this does the same as the sudo jamf recon command?

Thanks,
Matt

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Correct, sudo jamf recon is the same as the inventory update option in a policy (with a few extra options).

I wouldn't run a policy to update inventory at startup and/or login as it will mean everyones startup and logins will take ages. There should be a default policy in your JSS to update the inventory once per week set to the "Recurring Check-in" trigger that will already be doing this.

If you do want all the Macs to do an inventory update as soon as possible, I would create a policy to update inventory, set it to run once per computer on the "Recurring Check-in" and once its complete, delete it.

mjohnston
New Contributor

Great thanks for your help.
This policy was already in place but for some reason had not reported these changes with 2 new Yosemite machines where the command from the actual computers did.