JSS and JDS on same server?

aaronkerrgfs
New Contributor

We are in the process of setting up an internal environment for Casper for the first time. We plan to run on RHEL. Assuming the server has sufficient resources, is there any reason the JSS and JDS processes can't run on the same server?

3 REPLIES 3

stjohns
New Contributor

I am currently doing that and it seems to work well.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I don't think it would technically stop you but I wouldn't do it that way. Depending on the size of the deployment, some people put MySQL on one host and one or more tomcats on other host(s). In these scenarios you would almost certainly want JDS separate.

If I'm working with virtual machines, I prefer to spec out the exact CPU / RAM, bandwidth and storage requirements for the different roles so would generally split these up onto different VMs.

How many devices are you managing with the system?

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

We have it set up that way and we have minor issues from time to time. You'll have to see if there are any ports that the services both try to use, and see if you can work around it. Periodically inventory check-ins fail or software installation policies fail (including during imaging) because it runs into false flags for permissions on objects. But we're on two OS X servers, you may have a better experience on RHEL.