JSS commands not reaching ethernet attached iPad

Olson
New Contributor III

I have an iPad was placed in "Lost Mode". We find the iPad and try to disable "Lost Mode", but can't because there is no wifi on the device. We do the iPad connect via Ethernet setup. We can ping the iPad, it has an IP address. When we send the disable "lost mode" command in the JSS, nothing. Just pending. Is there a way in the JSS to send the disable lock-mode command directly to the device via the Ethernet IP? If the iPad is on the network, why can't the JSS disable lock mode?

13 REPLIES 13

Wakko
Contributor II

I don't know why it's not getting the command. However a sure fire way to get the iPad back would be to put it in DFU mode and restore the iOS. It sucks but at least you'll be able to re-setup and deploy the iPad again. Best O'luck.

Olson
New Contributor III

Thanks. Yes, I know that solution. But, now restores from iCloud backups don't seem to work, so yes, I can deploy the iPad again, but the student's app data is lost. Great. This is the first time I used "Lost Mode", and I'll be reluctant to use it again since it appears, if you lose your wifi while in lost mode, the solution is to wipe and restore. Not a good selling point for "Lost Mode".

It's frustrating because I can ping this iPad, look at this iPad and behind the translucent lock screen is the current date and time, so it's working with all this students data intact. Yet, my alternative is to wipe and restore.

I had another student come to me today saying he "lost" his iPad, he didn't, but I thought whatever you, don't use "Lost Mode". :-) (Sigh)

RLR
Valued Contributor

This has happened to me before. What we do now is send the "Clear Passcode" command first then send the "Lost Mode" command.

Olson
New Contributor III

Yeah, that's my problem none of my commands from the JSS are reaching the iPad, even though it's on the Ethernet network. Any sent commands just sit in a pending state.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Olson are MDM commands going through to other iOS devices normally? If they aren't then you may need to restart Tomcat on your JSS.

Drtrider
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue. I have an iPad in lost mode that has lost its wifi connection. I have it connected to the LAN via an ethernet adapter and USB hub, however commands will not reach the iPad.

What's the best way to at least wipe the iPad so I can redeploy it?

Olson
New Contributor III

Yes, other iPads are receiving commands just fine. I guess the best way is to plug it into iTunes in DFU mode and wipe it. This is day 3 having this iPad away from this student, hoping for a answer other then wipe and start over.

VCHS
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a solution? We have had success with using Ethernet up until a week ago. The commands never reach the iPad. While on Ethernet, we can access and download apps directly from the app store. If we go into self service, we can select an app for download and see the app queue in the JSS, but the iPad never receives the command.

eagleone
New Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, there has been a change to this. If you are on the latest version of MacOS, you should be able to now use the following terminal command once connected to your Mac via USB:

sudo tethered-caching

The iPad should be able to draw an IP address and get the commands. Let me know if this works. Our SE came through last week and showed us this command, but I've not yet used it myself. Caveat emptor.

murph
New Contributor III

@VCHS This is a bug in iOS 10.3 and 10.3.1. I haven't checked the released build of 10.3.2 yet, but I think it's still an issue. If you have an Apple SE, contact them to let them know you are being affected by this bug. Hopefully, Apple will get this fixed soon.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@VCHS To be clear, you are not talking about an iPad in Lost Mode, correct?

It sounds like something has changed on the wired network. I assume other commands can't get their either, like Update Inventory, profile installation etc.? Perhaps a port is being blocked. Self Service connects to the JSS and that is working..

RLR
Valued Contributor

We used the Tethered-Caching method on an iPad running 10.3.1 the other day. The iPad was in lost mode with a passcode on but still worked.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

You don't even need to go as far as using tethered caching, internet connection sharing from System Preferences is sufficient to pass commands along.