JSS on AWS Beanstalk

mzago
New Contributor III

Has anyone played around with the idea of hosting their JSS not only in AWS, but via AWS Beanstalk? There's probably some drift here from what JAMF would support, but I'm curious if anyone has taken the effort. The idea here being that your JSS is on AWS Beanstalk as a Tomcat config that is connected to a MySQL db configured in Amazon RDS.

No argument that this can be done with EC2 instances, but the appeal of an automagically updating tomcat environment that autoscales is definitely there.

Figured I'd ask before I get too far down this rabbit hole trying to get this to work.

2 REPLIES 2

amulrooney
New Contributor

Hey Matt, we've been talking about giving beanstalk a try with our next JSS rev. I'd love to hear what your experience has been, if you have given it a try. Or if you are aware of any challenges with that setup.

mzago
New Contributor III

It worked fine for me in testing, but there's a few tweaks we do for LDAP authentication that require tweaks to default java certificate keystores that don't seem like a good fit on ec2 instances deployed from beanstalk. So I'm investing some time into just doing this with AWS Opsworks with chef recipes instead because I can do all the tweaks. But it definitely seems like simple use-case load balancing with AWS beanstalk works.