JSS Smart group not updating for a PreStaged device?

sjmosher
New Contributor II

We have one system which refuses to add itself to a smart computer group for DEP PreStage Complete. Our workflow is:

• Assign SN in scope through PreStage Enrollments
  • Smart group retrieves system and scopes it into DEP PreStage Complete
  • New Machine Workflow looks for systems in DEP PreStage Complete smart group and, with enrollment action, executes policies, etc.

One system which was pulled in from DEP and assigned to PreStage, however, refuses to go into the smart group itself, killing the system between receiving the profile and executing any policy items. I've tried:

• Deleting the system record out of JSS
  • Explicitly scoping the serial number of the system into the smart group
  • Creating a new smart group
  • Checking for any random exclusions, etc (none)

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what should be the next step. I fear that we may encounter more systems which will have this problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Are you using the Enrollment Method: PreStage enrollment smart group criteria? I haven't heard of this being unreliable before but I don't think there is any way to manually control it if it fails.

I would probably speak to Jamf support to see what they say.

As a workaround, I would probably configure the DEP prestage to do something else that can be used as alternative smart group criteria. You can add content to other fields like purchasing, user and location etc so you could possibly add something into one of those fields and use that for the smart group.

It that also fails, it might mean that the DEP process has a more major issue.