JSS to Cloud - JAMF Migrator Tool Questions and More

box
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are moving MacOS units from JSS to Cloud. 

1) Tried the JAMF Migrator tool. Moved Computers first, seemed to be working but not seeing the result in the Cloud instance. 

2) Testing to move Static groups after, not working as the JAMF Migrator does not seem to pick up any (none show in the box), nothing moves. Version 7.1.2 

3) I was reading the suggested moving order is Devices, Smart Groups, Policies. Anything else to add or that I may be missing? Anything to ensure we do after these have moved? 

4) I was reading JAMF provides a Re-Enroll feat. Is this something I can download or JAMF provides? 

Thank you, 

8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@box The ReEnroller tool can be found at https://github.com/jamf/ReEnroller

According to the Jamf Migrator GigHub page (https://github.com/jamf/JamfMigrator) the latest release is 7.1.0, so I'm not sure of the source for the 7.1.2 version you mention. Did you check the Migration Summary report after attempting to move items to see what the reported results were? You can display the summary my typing ⌘S in Jamf Migrator, or select Show Summary under the File menu.

box
New Contributor III

My mistake, 7.1.0 is the version. I mistyped. 

When I click on Selective > Smart Grops > I received 

Failed to get existing computergroups

Status code: 401

I did ⌘S and says 0 to all. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@box That implies that the credentials you used do not have the necessary permissions for your source JSS instance. You need read privileges on the source JSS for almost all JSS Objects, and for your target JSS you'll need create and modify privileges.

box
New Contributor III

Thanks for confirming.

The migration using this tool from JSS to Cloud is also possible, correct? 

This is from JSS to Cloud not JSS to JSS. 

I wonder how come I can see Devices then. 

I take it the permissions have to come from Networking, nothing I can do within JAMF, correct? 

Thank you, 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@box If you have admin access to your JSS instances you can control the permissions on an account using the Settings->User accounts and groups panel.

As @stevewood points out you'd really want to be working with your account team and possibly Jamf's Professional Services group for help with your migration since it's not really a basic Cloud migration scenario.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you've chosen to move your objects from your on-premise Jamf Pro instance to a fresh and new Jamf Cloud instance. May I ask why you are going that route instead of simply moving your database up?

There are typically two methods to migrate from on-premise to Jamf Cloud:

1) fresh start where you have to re-create everything in cloud and re-enroll every device

2) A database migration (otherwise known as a DNS migration) where you change your DNS to point to Jamf Cloud and you upload a copy of your Database to Jamf.

The first method requires you to re-create everything in Jamf Cloud, whether that is using Jamf Migrator like you are attempting or literally creating every policy, profile, group, etc, in Jamf Cloud by hand. This also means that you have to re-enroll every device into Jamf Cloud. Re-Enroller can help with that, but it's still a ton of work.

The second method simply requires you to send a copy of your database to our Cloud Ops team for them to restore in Jamf Cloud and you change your DNS entry to point to the Jamf Cloud URL for your instance. This method DOES NOT require you to re-create anything or re-enroll any devices.

box
New Contributor III

Thank you for this information. 

" ..moving your database up?" - Is this in reference to the second point? 

It was chosen by the company in the hope that it would be overall faster and perform better compared to the on-prem. 

We are in the final stages of a divestiture, we have certain assets going to one company and others staying with us. Would the second method work? 

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I was referring to the second point. If you are going through a divestiture then it's not quite as clean cut as a straight cloud migration. There are obviously other things to take into account. As long as you have been working with your account team and they have helped steer you to the best migration path, I think you are good.

You might want to reach out and ask about help with the migration of devices. Depending on the number of devices you need to move to cloud, you may want to engage professional services for some assistance.