JSS Update Best Practices?

fsjjeff
Contributor II

Hey all,

I'm still in the early stages of implementing Casper across our district, with the following having been done to date:

• Installed the JSS - version 7.2.1

• Updated nearly all our local school servers to 10.6 and configured as Distribution points, Netboot imaging stations, SUS, and OD replicas.

• Imaged nearly 4000 computers, which are all now in the JSS.

• Several hundred machines are spares, or yet to be assigned, so they have been imaged and added to the JSS, but haven't reconnected to the JSS since June or July. They probably won't for a while yet.

----------------------------------------------

At this point, due to a few small glitches and updated features, I would like to update to the newest JSS version, and just want to verify that I understand the overall process...

I understand backing up the JSS, and running the update at the server level. The Distribution points shouldn't really need any updating, but I think the following are my concerns, and thoughts - I'm hoping others can just give me confirmation that I'm not missing anything:

• Casper Imaging Netboot images
I need to run the Netboot image creator and create an updated version of the NB image, then distribute to the servers.

• jamf client
My understanding is that the JSS auto-updates the jamf binary to be compatible with the new JSS? Is this correct or is there something I need to do to make this happen? Also, are there any things to watch out for here?

• Self Serve
I'm a bit fuzzy on this, but think that I need to push a policy to install an updated version of Self Serve?

• The Computers that are in storage
Is there anything I need to do with those spare computers that were imaged and then put aside? Will they just update when they're connected next time?

• Computers with incorrect management password
I'm not sure why, but occasionally a computer is coming out of the Imaging with an invalid password in the JSS. Generally, I have an admin user installed on the system as part of the image, and in the imaging config I have it configured to use that account. On the failed computers though, if a user uses Self Serve, they get asked for their password, and even when you enter your password the install gets downloaded, but not installed. Re-entering the password in the computer's record seems to fix this. I'm worried that this will cause problems with the update though. Any ideas?

• Other
I'm sure there is something I'm missing - certainly would love to hear of anything I should watch out for, or other advice on how to avoid any problems. I'm still very much aware of how much damage I can do with something like Casper and want to tread carefully.

As always, thanks so much in advance to those of you who can offer any feedback.

Cheers

Jeff Dyck | Analyste de reseaux - Mac OS X
Conseil Scolaire Francophone de la Colombie-Britannique (SD 93)
3550 Wellington Street, Annexe B - Port Coquitlam, BC - V3B 3Y5
Tel: 778-284-0902 - Cell: 778-990-7960 - http://support.csf.bc.ca

1 REPLY 1

ernstcs
Contributor III

NetBoot Images can typically be edited in place on the server. You can crack open the DMG since it’s editable, delete the existing Casper Imaging app, and then copy in a shiny new one. Boom..done.

JAMF client will update itself automatically AFTER you’ve migrated to a 7.3 version, but not to it. You’ll still need to run a policy once you are on version 7.3 to have clients update one last time. I misunderstood this as well.

You would need to push out an updated version of Self Service. You should always keep any of the applications you have out at the same version as your Casper Suite. Composer can be an exception.

Your stored systems when they check-in at a boot should perform any update policies you have in place.

As for upgrading the JSS you have that right, and the documentation with the suite also has something that tells you how to best do this process.

Craig E