JSSDatabaseUtil - Could not execute with administrator privileges.

nortonpc
Contributor

I am in the process of setting up a test jss running 8.73. I built up the new machine and keep getting this error

Could not execute with administrator privileges.

when I try to run the JSSDatabaseUtil to restore the database.

I can run it from the command line, sudo java -jar JSSDatabaseUtil.jar, but something is off when I do that as well. It keeps complaining about using passwords from the command line and then the restore fails after about 15 minutes.

Anyone else see anything like this? I am not sure if this is due to java security settings or something with 8.73

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dwandro92
Contributor III

P.S. I'm sure you'll find that the restore was actually successful, and is only reporting failures because the password error returned a failure code

View solution in original post

nortonpc
Contributor

Turns out I had to open a ticket with Jamf and the cause was Java 7. I downgraded to 6 and the JSSDatabaseUtil would work without complaining about the admin password. This issue has been fixed in 9 but is an issue in 8.73.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

dwandro92
Contributor III

As far as the admin privileges error goes, try CDing to the database util's parent directory and verifying that your account (or group) has execute permissions with "ls -l". If not, you will have to use chown/chmod to fix your permissions. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's probably a permissions issue on the MySQL side. As far as the password error is concerned, this isn't a huge deal. This error occurs because the JSSDatabaseUtil.jar file passes credentials to MySQL in order to restore the database. I was seeing this error as well and after a while it stopped doing it, but I'm not sure if I did something that stopped it or not.

dwandro92
Contributor III

P.S. I'm sure you'll find that the restore was actually successful, and is only reporting failures because the password error returned a failure code

nortonpc
Contributor

Turns out I had to open a ticket with Jamf and the cause was Java 7. I downgraded to 6 and the JSSDatabaseUtil would work without complaining about the admin password. This issue has been fixed in 9 but is an issue in 8.73.

nortonpc
Contributor

dwandro92 you were correct as well, I did have to increase the maximum_wait, and package sizes for the MySQL database then I was able to get a restore. It still threw that error but restored. The key was java 6 and not 7.

kennyo
New Contributor II

Is there a repo somewhere with Java SE JDK 6? Seem like oracle has EOL'd it and I need to do some testing and stage a server to test the JSS 8.73 - JSS 9.x jump. Thanks for your help!

dwandro92
Contributor III

Check http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html if you're using Windows or Linux. If you're using Mac Server, you have my condolences.