Juniper Network Connect

Lhsachs
Contributor II

*This is not a Casper specific issue. Since I'm having a hard time resolving the issue, I thought I'd put it out here since we have so many pros here*

Users here install Juniper Network Connect during their ssl vpn session. The problem a user has is Network Connect doesn't work. Here's what he did.

- uninstalled by running script (I compiled using various sources - run the uninstaller and also tear of other detritus left by the uninstaller)
- He did restart the system
- Installed the app again and he did still have the same issue

He was able to install. It kept telling him "A software error caused the
tunneling service to terminate. See the Log Viewer for more information"
It does this when it is trying to establish a secure session.

Seems to have the same issue as listed on Juniper's site:
http://juniperforum.com/index.php?topic=18091

Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

krischelj
New Contributor

Lhsachs, I have had some trouble with Juniper Network Connect as of late too. When my users would go to our SSL portal for the Network Connect, it would work fine (from Safari). If they went to the application that is installed, it would just hang and relaunch itself. What version are you working with?

Lhsachs
Contributor II

The version of Network Connect application that users are downloading is 19243. Yes, the connection via Safari is fine - the issue is Network Connect.

Are you seeing differences depending on OS?

My biggest concern with Apple's move to put out new OSes every year is the legacy software - that holds us back - usually VPN (like this) or enterprise encryption

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

We use Juniper as well at my company. Are you sure the user fully uninstalled NC? There is a script I believe that removes it completely. The other question I have is are these users using tokens? I see that issue with our users that use Tokens to authenticate. We have moved them over to soft tokens using an iPhone app. I will check with our Juniper engineer if he has any other thoughts on this issue.

Lhsachs
Contributor II

I put together a script that was blended from a variety of sources to remove Network Connect ```

!/bin/sh

uninstall juniper software

sudo /usr/local/juniper/nc/install/uninstall_nc.sh
sudo rm -R /Applications/Network Connect.app
sudo rm -R /usr/local/juniper
sudo rm -R /Library/Frameworks/net.juniper.
sudo rm -R /Library/Internet Plug-ins/net.juniper.

sudo rm -R /Library/Widgets/Network Connect.wdgt
sudo rm /private/var/db/receipts/net.juniper.*
rm -R Library/Application Support/Juniper Networks
rm -R Library/Caches/net.juniper.NetworkConnect
rm Library/Preferences/net.juniper.NetworkConnect.plist
rm -R Library/Logs/Juniper Networks

shutdown -r now
```
The user ran it, and was able to download and install again after the restart, with the same issue.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

"Network Connect, it would work fine (from Safari)."

Same behavior here!!!

You have to use Safari to launch "Network Connect" I think the last java update cased the issues

ericbenfer
Contributor III

Lenny,

Apple released a Java update in November 2011.

The Juniper Network Connect app uses a java based host checker to verify the system meets specified requirement to establish a full VPN tunnel.

Prior to the Java update the Network Connect app could launch the Java host checker on it's own. Apparently Apple made a change that now prevents the Network Connect app from launching the host checker.

It still works in Safari because Safari can launch the Java host checker.

Apple and Juniper are aware of the problem. They have not released a fix yet.
The workaround for us is to log in via Safari then have Safari launch Network Connect.

Eric

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Putting an EA for Network Connect if anyone needs it.

#!/bin/sh

# Checks the version of Juniper Network Connect

if [ -d /Applications/Network Connect.app ] ; then

RESULT=`cat /Applications/Network Connect.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings | grep CFBundleShortVersionString | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/";//g'`

echo "<result>$RESULT</result>"

else

echo "<result>Not Installed</result>"

fi

Returns <result>7.1.18</result>

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Just my $.02 regarding Network Connect: DUMP IT. Use Pulse instead.

Our issues may certainly be configuration-related, but we had all sorts of problems regarding external websites when using Safari and a proxy. Other browsers seemed to work fine. In our case, switching to the Pulse client removes a Java dependency, obviates browser configurations, and improves reliability. Worth considering.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Agree if you can or have the ability to upgrade to Pulse I would do it. NC is constantly behind the times and a headache to manage.