Just migrated to Jamf Cloud

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

In all, the migration was great but did anyone else find that all of their devices and Macs are checking in with the external IP for your organization? I know turning on RemoteValve or tweaking the load balancer just a bit would cause the original IP to get reported for on-prem clusters. Hoping this is just a quick settings change for some Jamf Cloud engineer.

5 REPLIES 5

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

@cdenesha I remember asking you about your thoughts on the cloud migration. Obviously we bit the bullet and did it...Did you run into this issue with iOS devices and Macs that are internal reporting your external IP?

lanceplautz
New Contributor II

Same thing happened to me after migrating. I didn't see any issue with it, figured it was expected behavior, and now ignoring it.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I was used to having them but I saw a post that doesn’t give me a lot of hope. I figured out a way to mitigate it on Macs, but not on iOS devices

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@blackholemac Unfortunately, Jamf Cloud sees your devices from outside your network, so they will capture their public IP address. There is a second internal IP address reported for Macs but not iPads.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I saw and that's why I shamelessly plugged your feature request as broadly as possible. I wanted to make sure it was nothing wrong that we did or in the migrator's implementation first though.

I have a "goto Jamf" looking into future hopes on this for me. It's a shame because our internal IP scheme is one of the tech things here I like to brag about. Just by glancing at an internal IP, I can trace a device down to a 2-3 room pod within one of our buildings knowing nothing else other than check in time.

I don't heavily rely on network segments really though because sometimes grade levels don't exactly map down to pods, but it's nice to have when a network guys says "what kid's iPad is using IP address <insert here>?"