Just upgraded JSS server from 8.73 to 9.21 cannot add package

aamjohns
Contributor II

I make a pkg for the casper suite so our techs can update on their machines. One is a self service policy and I was able to add the package to the policy. The other is a policy that upgrades the existing version of casper suite on systems that have it. Whenever I add the package to the policy it seems fine. When I am done and save, it goes away. So I could add the package to one policy but not another. I tried completely deleting the second policy and starting over and the same thing is happening. I add it, but after saving it disappears, like I never added the policy.

-I should add, I just tested and I cannot add any package. Well I can, but after I save it is not longer there.

13 REPLIES 13

dwandro92
Contributor III

are you creating/editing multiple policies at the same time (i.e. in separate tabs)?

aamjohns
Contributor II

Hi,
Thank you for responding. No, I am not. Matter of fact, I tried various things like rebooting the server, different browsers, different packages, new policies, existing policies. I could not get anything to work. But initially it did. The very first policy I updated after the upgrade worked. After that, no matter how I tried, I could not successfully add a package to a policy (I tried different existing packages).

Since I did not hear from anyone and I could not find documentation of this issue, I restored our server from snapshot back to 8.73. I'd like to move to 9 but obviously I need to ensure this issue is understood and resolved first.

dwandro92
Contributor III

What OS is your server running on, and how did you install your JSS? Did you install it manually or did you use the packaged installer?

aamjohns
Contributor II

Server is MS 2008R2. I ran the .msi installer.

dwandro92
Contributor III

Which version of the Java JDK are you using and which version of MySQL?

aamjohns
Contributor II

MySQL 5.5
JDK 1.7.0_17

dwandro92
Contributor III

This could be a problem with the Java 7 JDK. If you don't already have an additional JSS server to use for testing upgrades/changes, you should look into getting one. If you get/have one, you could try installing the Java 6 JDK, MySQL 5.5, and JSS 8.73, then restoring your existing database on it. Once complete, upgrade to JSS 9.21 and see if the same issue occurs.

dwandro92
Contributor III

Nevermind, I guess I didn't fully read your response. Since you have snapshots that you can revert to, try to downgrade to Java 6 in-place, then install JSS 9.21.

aamjohns
Contributor II

Ok. I am curious if you are basing this on a known issue? I will try it but just wondering if this is a known problem.

dwandro92
Contributor III

At this point I'm just going through general troubleshooting steps. I've heard of other issues with JSS and Java 7, so it seems like it might be something worth trying. Are you perhaps seeing this problem in Safari on a 10.6.8 machine, or are you using a different OS and/or browser? This question is based on a comment from @Louise in https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8401

aamjohns
Contributor II

Hi,
Thanks, I was just curious.

Normally I am working on Win7 machine using Safari.

I'll give this a try and post back. Thanks.

aamjohns
Contributor II

I guess I did not search very good. I did not see the post you linked. I have not tested yet but will soon.

aamjohns
Contributor II

Actually...Just as a follow-up...I'm not going to mess with this. I'm just going to wait. After seeing that other thread I don't really need to force this issue. Personally, I thought the interface in 9 is less appealing, the only new features I need or really am interested in are related to filevault. I can live without that for now. I don't want potentially start using an insecure version of Java just to make 9 work.

I appreciate the time and help you gave me today. I just wanted to get back to you and let you know I am just going to wait until things get ironed out.