Kernel Extensions - Big Sur - Blackmagic

achilcott
New Contributor

Hi All,

Trying to get Kernel Extensions (Not System Extensions) working for Blackmagic Desktop Video v12.0 under Big Sur.

I've contacted Blackmagic support who have stated that they are still using Kernel Extensions.

So far in JAMF I can get non-Admin users to approve of the extension upon installation of Blackmagic Desktop Video but I can't get the prompt to silently go away.

I have referred to the community list of Kernel Extensions supplied here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IWrbE8xiau4rU2mtXYji9vSPWDqb56luh0OhD5XS0AM/edit?usp=sharing

and output from:

echo "Team ID,Bundle Identifier,KEXT Allowed,Developer Name,Flags"> ~/Desktop/kext.csv sudo sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy "SELECT * FROM kext_policy;" | sed 's/|/,/g' >> ~/Desktop/kext.csv open ~/Desktop/kext.csv

Is

Team ID,Bundle Identifier,KEXT Allowed,Developer Name,Flags 9ZGFBWLSYP,com.blackmagic-design.driver.BlackmagicIO,1,Blackmagic Design Inc,1 9ZGFBWLSYP,com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.iokit.driver,1,Blackmagic Design Inc,1

I then created the Configuration Profile based on (Screenshot):

Team ID: 9ZGFBWLSYP
com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.iokit.framebufferdriver      
com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.iokit.driver     
com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.firmware     
com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.multibridge.iokit.driver     
com.blackmagic-design.driver.BlackmagicUsbIO        
com.blackmagic-design.driver.BlackmagicIO

Anybody know how to get the prompt to disappear to approve the extension? Or why his keeps appearing after I've supplied the Team ID?

6a13e62553ea41778ebb1bb4f8c39684

5 REPLIES 5

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

If you are asking what I am thinking, third-party kexts in Big Sur always require additional approval and a restart in order to rebuild the kext cache. You can't completely remove that requirement with a config profile like you could in Catalina and earlier. Apple really does not want people using kexts anymore.

achilcott
New Contributor

@alexjdale

OK. Before I go down the rabbit hole it appears this is non-trivial. I'm seeing the same problem as:

@markdmatthews

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/37853/big-sur-symantec-wss-agent-7-2-1-14589#responseChild214425

Apparently you need to perform 2x tasks to get the ball rolling on this:

1 - Create the Configuration Profile.

THEN

2 - Make a JAMF API call on the device in question.

As Per:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/793/manage-legacy-kernel-extensions-in-macos-11-using-jamf-pro

Not worth my time to waste right now....

DeployAdam
New Contributor III

Anyone found a solution? Under Big Sur while whitelisted "Blackmagic Design Inc", macOS keeps on blocking this software from loading. e616ee9f9ccd4dceab9bf89541e271e0

a7b991531e34433ba084974c5a2ee3a1

s_hass
New Contributor II

I found a solution:

You need to use at least driver version 12.2 because Blackmagic switched from kernel extension in v12.1 to system extension in v12.2.

First of all you need to create a system extension profile.

Keep in mind that system extension profiles need to be installed before the installation of the software.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-04 um 16.17.59.png

Team Identifier:

9ZGFBWLSYP

Allowed System Extensions:

com.blackmagic-design.DesktopVideoDriverExtension.Helper

com.blackmagic-design.BlackmagicIO.DExt

com.blackmagic-design.DesktopVideoDriverExtension

I am not sure if all three strings are needed at all but it works for me.

jwaltonen
New Contributor III

I also needed to create a profile to load this kernel extension
com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.iokit.driver

And I just found this very useful bit of information.  You can see whats being held back for approval in System Report, disabled software.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 9.24.43 AM.png

and here on a system that already had the drivers installed, helps you see whats what, like whats a system extension and whats a kernel extension.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 11.03.32 AM.png