Lab computers aren't showing name and password fields when locked

matchapicchu
New Contributor

Hey, y'all! I'm baffled and after much internet searching I need help!

Our current setup is Mac lab computers bound to AD so that students can log in with their network accounts (also have a single local admin account). This creates a mobile user profile. I have a configuration profile with the following settings: 

• Login Window / Window / Login Prompt: Name and password text fields
  • Login Window / Options / [x] Enable external accounts

On Ventura, our Mac lab computers would show the name and password fields when the screen was locked. If I remember correctly, it would show name and password EVEN IF the user hadn't logged out.

Since Sonoma 14.1 or something, this is no longer the case. If a user leaves a computer and the screen times out and locks, it only shows the last user's profile picture, name, and password field, with no option to change this. I keep thinking this will magically return to the way it worked on Ventura, showing the name and password fields on the lock screen and login screen, but no dice.

The temporary solution is having users log out of their account (which they always forget) and having a rule that restarts the computers in the middle of the night.

Anybody have a fix?

4 REPLIES 4

SCCM
Contributor III

I don't remember seeing a username and password option on the lock screen (Sonoma), just on the login window. The lock screen only had a hide username and photo option from memory.

obi-k
Valued Contributor III

I was playing around with this out of curiosity. And I think I see the problem you're seeing. Have you talked to Apple about this? I see this on 14.4.1.

If a user is logged into the lab Mac, the workaround I see is to click on your local admin profile icon on the login screen. The Mac will try to log into that local admin account but will shake and prompt you to fill in the username and password fields. This is how I got the username and password field to show up.

Kinda dumb.

Yeah the computers are currently on 14.4.1... This week if I have time I'm going to fallback to Ventura to be sure that this option's been taken away, but it's never been an issues before Sonoma 14.1—a user locks the screen, and it asks for username and password. Now you can't log out of a user if the screen is locked unless you restart the computer. It's baffling.

I guess my next step is to get in touch with Apple but I don't have a ton of hope... Thanks for checking in on this though!

Ismere
Contributor

Hi,
did you tried to set the option "Require Passcode to Unlock Screen" to Never? you can find it under the Security and Privacy Profile options under general.... Cause we had the Problem with our Computerpool Macs not letting other Users login even after the 15 minute inactivity logoff of the previous user. And adding this option actually resolved this problem. For Sonoma this Screen Unlock Screen seems to be a different one to the normal login screen.