Launch Agent doesn't start

k3vmo
Contributor II

I wrote a process for my network team to scan for when a user connects to the company through VPN. I use a post-install script to load a Launch Agent - however, I can't get the launch agent to start -- without the user restarting. I don't know what my next step to troubleshoot would be

The agent script is:

#!/bin/sh

function runCompany
{

cat << EOF > /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.highmark.Highmark</string>
    <key>Program</key>
    <string>/usr/local/bin/Highmark</string>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

EOF

launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist
}

runCompany
4 REPLIES 4

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@k3vmo LaunchAgents are run by the user logged into the system, not by root. Remove the last line of the runCompany function and add this:

# if someone is logged in
if who | grep -q console; then

# get the logged in user's uid
    LOGGED_IN_UID=$(ls -ln /dev/console | awk '{ print $3 }')

# use launchctl asuser to run launchctl in the same Mach bootstrap namespace hierachy as the Finder
    launchctl asuser "$LOGGED_IN_UID" launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist
fi

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

You might also have to do this:

chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist

k3vmo
Contributor II

@ryan.ball I removed my launchctl line and added your code .. I save this script out - it's executable. I bundle it with my .pkg [which simply starts a process on the host] yet I had no luck. It worked when the system was restarted

Do I have this correct?

#!/bin/bash

function runHighmark
{

cat << EOF > /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.highmark.Highmark</string>
    <key>Program</key>
    <string>/usr/local/bin/Highmark</string>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

EOF

# use launchctl asuser to run launchctl in the same Mach bootstrap namespace hierachy as the Finder
    launchctl asuser "$LOGGED_IN_UID" launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist
fi
}

runHighmark

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@k3vmo This seems to work fine for me:

#!/bin/bash

function runHighmark
{

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist Label "com.highmark.Highmark"
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist Program "/usr/local/bin/Highmark"
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist RunAtLoad -bool true
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist KeepAlive -bool true
chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.highmark.Highmark.plist

fi
}

runHighmark

You need to check your permissions on /usr/local/bin/Highmark to make sure the user can execute it. You can probably just do this:

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/Highmark

You might be able to use LaunchControl to troubleshoot issues with the agent.