List Your Helpful Apps!

betty02
New Contributor II

Not sure if there is something like this out and about already if so then just ignore! Just thought it would be fun!

Just a list of helpful apps that you use to manage your macs/with every day mac usage! Sure many of you know these already but might help some newbies :)

AutoCasperNBI - Creates NetBoot Images
AutoDMG - Creates System Images
AutoPkgr - Automated Package Distribution
Mactracker - provides detailed information on every Apple Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, and iPad ever made

That's pretty much it along side Casper Suite! Just things to make our jobs a little easier!!

12 REPLIES 12

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

The side bar of /r/macsysadmins has a pretty good list of tools. Mostly non-JAMF but still useful.

pat_best
Contributor III

has anyone else used suspicious package? from Mothers Ruin A coworker just showed me this a month ago. I like how it breaks down packages for inspection.

Brad_G
Contributor II

@pat.best Yes I install it on my admin machine. It's nice to have a quick look inside of a package to see what it's doing prior to launch. Very useful tool in my book.

SGill
Contributor III

Yes, Suspicious Package is very helpful for me here, especially when dealing with lessor known vendors/sites. We don't sign our pkg's in-house (and it will always flag that), but even that is informative.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Learned something new. Checking out Suspicious Package!

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

LaunchControl has helped me wrap my brain around Launchd and build launchdaemons. It's a better tool than Lingon, in my opinion.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I agree with the above. I used to use Lingon, but the UI and error checking that I get from LaunchControl seems better to me in my opinion. Even though I could create Launchd plists by hand correctly, I still tend to use LaunchControl for making them since its just more reliable.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Sloth is a GUI for lsof to find what files are open and by what.
I'm learning to explore Platypus for making GUI components for terminal commands. GrandPerspective and DiskInventory X are both great for determining in a GUI what is taking up all your hard drive space.

ronb
New Contributor II

A few general utilities -

. Revealer.app - for a quick gui app for hiding/unhiding both user library and all files/folders
. Deliveries.app - for tech/manager that perform their own system purchasing, this helps track packages. Has iOS equivalent
. Remote Desktop - obvious utility for remote management for all things Mac
. OmniDisksweeper - helps users (and techs) manage (and clean out) unnecessary storage
. TextWrangler/TextMate - great script editors
. Apple's Activity Monitor, Console, Terminal - obvious built-in stuff
. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.app - handy free anti-malware/adware extractor
. Learn Apple's various keystroke options for screen capture

betty02
New Contributor II

Some awesome bits in here! Going to check out a few of the ones some of you have posted! I like the sound of Suspicious Package!

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

I'd recommend Jumpcut. While it isn't a direct Mac System Admin tool, it helps with my overall OS X experience, including admin stuff.

It will keep a long list of copy/paste items in the Menu Bar ready for use.6407d599035c4a8c99499d045a4917eb

http://jumpcut.sourceforge.net

dwandro92
Contributor III

Some of the best tools that I've come across were ones that I found thanks to Tim Sutton's python-macadmin-tools repo.

Many of the tools that I use are ones that are on that list or that most people have already heard of, but here are a few that I use heavily every day for automation:

• Sublime Text - Amazing text editor similar to Atom. Extremely powerful once you install the Package Control plugin.
  • vim-pathogen - Plug-in loader for vim.
  • ShellCheck - Static code analysis for bash/shell scripts. Can be loaded as a plugin for vim, Sublime Text, Atom, etc.
  • Pylint - Static code analysis for Python. Can be loaded as a plugin for vim, Sublime Text, Atom, etc.
  • rubocop - Static code analysis for Ruby. Can be loaded as a plugin for vim, Sublime Text, Atom, etc.
  • oh-my-zsh - Amazing framework manager for zsh. After using this, I can never go back to using bash as my default shell on my development systems.