Login Items - Only Launching for Admin Users

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I created a Config Profile to set a particular JPG to open at login.  Using "Login Items", and then "Items", I have the correct, complete path entered for said JPG.

This works - but only for users that are admins on the Macs.  Standard users are not having it opened at login.

I've searched high and low for answers, but have only found folks don't know why it's not working, and in turn recommend doing the same thing via scripts.

Without resorting to creating a login script to do this (which I'm not exactly a scripting Jedi), it there a reason why doing it this way this is not working for standard users?  I even moved the JPG to a directory that standard users had read/write access to, to rule out it being some sort of weird permissions issue (which seemed unlikely as the login process is only reading that JPG), and not surprisingly that did not resolve anything.

Clients I'm testing on are running Big Sur 11.6.1

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

Update - After working with a great Jamf support person, we both learned that using "Login Items" within config profiles to set something to execute, open, etc. at login, only works with local accounts.  Using "Login Items" within a config profile will not actually add those items to network/mobile accounts' Login Items list within System Preferences->Users & Groups, subsequently preventing those items from launching at login.  This pertains to network accounts (including mobile accounts).  In our case specifically they're AD network/mobile accounts.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

Update - After working with a great Jamf support person, we both learned that using "Login Items" within config profiles to set something to execute, open, etc. at login, only works with local accounts.  Using "Login Items" within a config profile will not actually add those items to network/mobile accounts' Login Items list within System Preferences->Users & Groups, subsequently preventing those items from launching at login.  This pertains to network accounts (including mobile accounts).  In our case specifically they're AD network/mobile accounts.

Hi MattF-TX,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I wonder if you would be able to let us know how you actually resolved the problem? Did you eventually need to use a script?

Many thanks

Colin