Logon Delays After Installing Casper Client?

cforte
New Contributor

We're running JSS 9.3 (new installation) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and using ARD to push out a QuickAdd installer we created in Recon. We're pushing this out to clients just to get them into Casper so that we can start organizing our machines in JSS. At this point we don't have any policies or profiles being pushed out other than the default Inventory policy. Our Mac clients authenticate against Active Directory, and most of our employees are admins on their office Macs.

After pushing out this installer, we had a couple people in an office report logon issues on their Mavericks machines. When logging on after having logged off, they experienced a delay with the spinning beachball over a grey screen for several minutes. They'd have to physically shut the iMacs off and turn them back on before they could log on. On one of these machines we had the user log off, unplug their network cable (wireless was already turned off), log on, plug the network cable back in, and log off and on again. This seemed to resolve his problem and the logon delay hasn't come back.

At this point we're somewhat suspicious of whether or not the Casper client caused a hiccup with logons. It is also somewhat possible that 10.9.2, which they installed at roughly the same time, might have caused the issue. We're trying to gather more info on the problem. Has anyone else experienced anything like this recently? Any logon delays or freezing after enrolling a new client?

10 REPLIES 10

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Do you have any polices running at login?

Do you have any non-10.9.2 macs you can test installing the QuickAdd on?

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

there's a delay if the machine can't find the casper server to report in, for instance if the machine is off the network and the JSS is only available via internal network.

http://macmule.com/2013/10/30/updating-managed-settings-popup-at-login-window/

cforte
New Contributor

The only policy applied is the default Inventory update policy, which doesn't have login as a trigger.

We've run the QuickAdd on other 10.9.x clients without seeing this issue, as well as 10.6.x-10.8.x clients. Nobody has reported a similar issue, but people often don't let us know about things like this. I'm trying to reach out to other clients to see if anyone has seen this behavior.

Our casper server hasn't reported any downtime, and there's nothing in the client logs to suggest that they couldn't reach the JSS to check in.

At this point I'm willing to chalk it up to an unrelated network glitch that was cleared by removing and re-establishing a connection to the network. I just have a supervisor who's being very sensitive about making sure that Casper isn't causing problems as we begin a campus-wide rollout, so I'm trying to at least establish 'reasonable doubt.' :)

bentoms

@cforte, odd. If it was the issue that @jwojda linked to from my blog, users should see a prompt.

cforte
New Contributor

They saw no prompt. Just a blank grey screen with the spinning beachball of shame-on-Apple.

bentoms

@cforte before the login window?

cforte
New Contributor

After the login window. They punch in their credentials and log in, but the desktop never loads.

bentoms

Was the 10.9.2 update from the Mac App Store or a custom built image? Does it happen with local accounts or AD?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

The "any" trigger = evil.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Do you have "Perform login hook actions in the background" checked in the "Login/Logout Hooks" pane in "Check-in" under Computer Management?