Mac Apps

PE
New Contributor III

Have an application that I  want  to use with that (EndNote) but it needs some extra scripts to run (with SmartGroups) after installation but I cannot find the "Update Inventory" option after this application is installed. (manually) is that not available if you use Mac Apps ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SCCM
Contributor III

I don't think there is anything which will do this natively. When ever this is asked people say put in a feature request with jamf (nothings appeared for years so there must not be much demand for it).
I know in the past people have scoped the installs to machines, and setup a extension attribute to detect the installation of a app. A smart group is created from this which has the scripts set by policy.
This method isn't instant. Recon occurs about every 15min, so depending on how quick you need this, it might take about 30mins

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

PE
New Contributor III

With manually i mean this works but mean the auto option when you use a policy

SCCM
Contributor III

I don't think there is anything which will do this natively. When ever this is asked people say put in a feature request with jamf (nothings appeared for years so there must not be much demand for it).
I know in the past people have scoped the installs to machines, and setup a extension attribute to detect the installation of a app. A smart group is created from this which has the scripts set by policy.
This method isn't instant. Recon occurs about every 15min, so depending on how quick you need this, it might take about 30mins

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If the app installs in /Applications, you should not need an Extension Attribute to pick up the app as Jamf natively checks /Applications and /Library/user/Applications. A smart group for the app should be all you need. However, to your other point, Jamf Ideas is very much a black hole for feature requests 99% of the time. I'm still waiting for the "Potential future functionality" from Managed Software Updates - using deferrals via a m... - Jamf Nation Community - 249821 nearly 3 years ago.

SCCM
Contributor III

I just want to be able to set a macOS version in jamf itself and all machines update to that version without having to send multiple remote commands, or relying on third party software for all existing and newly enrolled devices (after its set). But that's still a no show from what i can see.

PE
New Contributor III

@SCCM @AJPinto The smart group is necessary for scripts that runs the license file and and to install the plugin for Microsoft Word, so Mac Apps is not an option in my case. Thanks for you time !