Mac Apps

MAltman
New Contributor

Hi all! Wanted to see if anyone else is seeing this issue before I reach out to Jamf Support.

When deploying apps from the Jamf Catalog with Mac Apps the applications deploy but never report back as Complete. After confirming that any app that we've tested has successfully updated they only show In Progress it the deployment status. It never changes and is very frustrating when trying to track the updates for our InfoSec Office. I've gone through the instructions numerous times and still no joy here.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

we deploy / update many apps via JAMF App Catalog without any issue.

This is very much dependant on how you 1st deploy the app and then manage the updates, which comes down to smart group scoping. 

As an example, for Adobe Acrobat Reader.. 1st we create a smart group for all devices with it installed and use that to 'seed' the JAMF Mac Apps, with automatic install. 

Once devices with the app have updated, they all turn to 'installed'.

As we want everyone to install Acrobat Reader via Self Service, we then change the scope to all the devices we want in scope and switch the deployment method to Self Service, keeping auto update. 

For apps that required testing prior to deployment we duplicate the JAMF App installer and scope that to a testing subset smart group and use manual update on the live deployment. 

Other that a few apps that we manage with our own config profiles, we deploy the JAMF profiles along with customised settings for notifications and deadline. 

So far no-one has complained.. so, must be doing something right 😎

obi-k
Valued Contributor III

Do the numbers differ if you create a Patch Management for a title or two you're using with Jamf Catalog?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I have not seen any issues myself. However, be aware that Mac Apps uses Apples MDM framework to deploy. So Jamf will not necessarily have accurate information of install status until a checkin and management have run. Mac Apps are more or less as set it and forget it kinda thing, and not a keep a close eye on them thing.