Mac Appstore free Apps and distribution with Casper

cgordy
Contributor

Is this doable?
My endusers are Standard Users on their macbooks and cannot install from AppStore without having the root password.
Pretty sure I have done this before, but I am drawing a blank today so I reach out for quick help.
In order to download the free AppStore App, I have to sign in - then it downloads/installs.
When I drag the App from Applications and into Composer for creating the DMG, it must remember that AppleID used to download it.
When I install the app to another box, it asks for the password of the AppleID used to download it.
Thoughts?
thanks
Chad

7 REPLIES 7

jborer
New Contributor

I am having this same problem today - I haven't encountered it in the past. Any ideas would be helpful!!

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=206 (and the discussion).

If you don't want to play with removing the _MASReceipt from the app bundle (WARNING: this can break an app), bear in mind you may be able add the standard users to the _appstore group on the local machine. This supposedly allows them to use the App Store to install apps, but I've never done it...

--Robert

clifhirtle
Contributor II

FWIW we've had no issues with apps stripped of the MASReceipt file yet. @Robert assuming you have? Could you expound on what you've seen in your environment with apps breaking?

clifhirtle
Contributor II

FWIW we've had no issues with apps stripped of the MASReceipt file yet. @Robert assuming you have? Could you expound on what you've seen in your environment with apps breaking?

bajones
Contributor II

I tried removing the receipt from KidPix 3D and upon opening the app, the system reported an error along the lines of "This application is corrupt and should be redownloaded". I forget the exact wording.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

@Billy: 3rd party apps from App Store may differ. I've only ever tried this with the iLife suite apps.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Yeah, that was my point. iLife doesn't care, some apps might/do. Please try only on a copy of apps; YMMV.