Mac doesn't show latest minor update (even major)

HmaiK
New Contributor

Hello,

I am new with Jamf. We are currently using Nudge to make our user update their mac. The problem is that actually most of the time, there is no update on softwareupdate being shown. We made a deferral update for Sonoma but some mac are on it.

For example, this user is on 14.1.2 while the 14.2.1 is available since almost 3 week but doesn't show. I used the command softwareupdate -l to check every day with a policy but nothing appear. (We reboot 2 to 3 time the mac and still nothing)

HmaiK_0-1704702570316.png

Does anyone got the same problem and was able to fix it?

Thanks for your help

10 REPLIES 10

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Check to make sure the correct hosts and ports are open to Apple. If there are any blocks, or SSL filters involving software update they won't populate. Below is Apples enterprise network guide, or you can use Mac Evaluation Utility from Apple Seed which will test all this and provide a report.

One last comment. Sonoma can no longer be deferred, the 90day deferral window expired on 12/26/23. 

Use Apple products on enterprise networks - Apple Support

HmaiK
New Contributor

Thanks for your time AJPinto.
I will check that and comeback here if it solve the problem or not.

HmaiK
New Contributor

@AJPintoThe hosts and ports aren't blocked. Can a configuration profiles that try to automatically update the Mac can cause also a problem?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Nope, it's not possible for a configuration profile to hide macOS Sonoma updates at this point.

Try to run sudo softwareupdate -aiR, I'm figuring it should fail but it will trigger the OS update workflow. While that is running, check the /var/log/install.log and keep an eye on the software update logs, this log should tell you what is going on. If updates are being blocked with a configuration profile, this log will specifically tell you they are deferred and until what date.

To clarify. You can still block updates less then 90 days old. So 14.2.1, 14.1 and everything in between can be deferred however 14.0 is older than 90 days and should show up. Same would apply to any macOS 13 updates.

HmaiK
New Contributor

I will check that. Thanks you!

HmaiK
New Contributor

It seems that the problem were from the restriction payload for non-macos minor update that still blocked all update to show on softwareupdate... When I delete it and run the command line that @obi-k suggested, sonoma and ventura update showed up.

Thanks again for your help!

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Are your Macs pointing to an internal SUS Server/URL? 

I'd double-check your configuration profiles to see if another profile is holding a deferral in a Restrictions payload.

HmaiK
New Contributor

Hello obi-K,

There no internal SUS Server/URL. I checked the different configuration profiles we have and the only one who has resistrictions playload is for non-macos minor update with a deferral of 1 days.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

In addition to @ajpinton, I use this in Terminal here and there when I see this issue.

softwareupdate -l --include-config-data

HmaiK
New Contributor

Thanks for your help @obi-k . The restriction payload for non-macos minor update blocked all softwareupdate to be shown