MacBookPro9,1 Mid2012

Cem
Valued Contributor

MacBookPro9,1 has a different built. It comes with 10.7.3. AppStore 10.7.4 comes up with an error "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer." So I can 't create an instadmg image.

So back to square one. I now have to recreate NetBoot (yes I have tried adding MacBookPro9,1 string on the Netboot plist - still no go) and create an another build...

I have booted the laptop in target mode and captured the pristine (never booted) preinstalled OS with Composer and uploaded to Casper Admin. I now created another set just for these types.

Its a pain! Anyone agree :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cem
Valued Contributor

OK issue was with our firewall blocking the connection.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

nkalister
Valued Contributor

downloading from the app store on the 2012 mbp doesn't give you the special build it needs?

Cem
Valued Contributor

Also I don't think the combo update 10.7.4 will work for these too. Is this correct?

Cem
Valued Contributor

@nkalister - nope

nkalister
Valued Contributor

then how are regular end user's supposed to reinstall if anything happens to their recovery partition?? internet restore only? that seems strange.

Cem
Valued Contributor

yeah that's what I thought too!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You may want to read through this thread-
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4671

A lot of this was discussed about the new builds of 10.7.4 that ship with these new 2012 models.

Cem
Valued Contributor

maybe Restore pulls a different image just for these...

mclemens
New Contributor

Also just as a note these machines show up as MacBookPro9,1 rather than 15-inch MacBook Pro for the model. Probably just need updated jss code to resolve that. I am up and running with my new netboot image and my new os image. All appears to be working fine. This behavior is nothing new so not sure why you guys would be surprised :P

nessts
Valued Contributor II

from my understanding talking to some Apple CSS folks, the ones that make the 3 different images for the 3 currently shipping sets of laptops. the AHT in the recovery partition is different for each of the 3 images and that is the usually the biggest difference, and this is what allows the restore functionality to get the right image based off serial number/hardware configuration information.
The good news for us using casper, you can get all 3 or 6 base OS images and using smart configurations it really should not be too hard to manage different images. its just the pain of creating the different base OS

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Hopefully we see 10.7.5 sooner than later. I just made netinstall images for the models we offer of the new macs until we get the build that unifies the OS again. This always happens so you just have to plan for it. Instructions from AFP548:

It's very easy to use the Mac App Store's smarts to our own advantage and gain access to a copy of that hardware specific OS build. Here's what to do: Iy6pjaqKNH83R4xertxB Now when you mount that external disk you will find a directory named Mac OS X Install Data on the root. Inside of this folder is the elusive,hardware-specific, InstallerESD.dmg image that you can feed to SIU or any other imaging tool of choice. Having this installer will now allow you to build out re-deployment images for all of your hardware until rollup installers are available.

Cem
Valued Contributor

http://nellen.it/blog/2012/01/downloading-hardware-specific-lion-installers/

I have tried the Restore option as the above link has described it.

1. Boot the hardware you need an image for from the Recovery HD by holding Command-r at power on time.
  2. Plug in a JHFS+ formatted external disk.
  3. Select the Re-install OS X Lion option and target the external disk.
  4. Once the Installer finishes downloading, simply shutdown and unplug the disk.

But it came up with an error saying:
"could not find installation information for this machine. Contact Apple Care."

Cem
Valued Contributor

I was quite happy that OS now is public accessible through App Store. As I thought that Apple will keep things simpler... but no I was wrong!

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Cem, I'm not sure what to tell you. I just made all three about an hour ago after our lab models arrived from Apple. I've used the same method since Lion was first available on the MBA's as a custom build.

Cem
Valued Contributor

In this case, perhaps something to do with our network. I am openning a ticket with Apple.

Cem
Valued Contributor

Apple reckons that, its to do with the local server... waiting for their reply

Internet Restore (Command-Option-R) Error:
apple.com/support
-4403F

Cem
Valued Contributor

OK issue was with our firewall blocking the connection.