Machine running policy multiple times a minute

rlindenmuth
New Contributor III

Macs in our environment are scheduled to check in every 30 minutes, but I have one that is running the same policy job 3-4 times a minute. I've temporarily disabled the policy to halt the flood, but how can I correct the check-in period on the problem Mac?

10 REPLIES 10

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

What is the policy trigger and execution frequency set to, and what is the policy actually doing?

rlindenmuth
New Contributor III

Policy trigger is at startup, and Recurring Check-in which is every 30 minutes.

The policy is for our OS X 10.8 machines and ensures our required security settings are on the machine. It runs 3 pkgs, 1 script, sets management account password, and forces the computer to submit inventory to JSS. Target is Smart Computer Group containing 10.8 machines.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

It runs three PKGs and a script? Could you break those down further for us? Something must be creating a loop.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Is the policy set to once per computer?

I've seen this behaviour when scripts are used to trigger other policies. Could one of the packages or the script contain a

sudo jamf policy -trigger (or event)

rlindenmuth
New Contributor III

Something on the machine has to be stuck or hung. I'm waiting for the user to get back to me. When I disabled the policy the machine continued to run the policy repeatedly. I re-enabled the policy as it's required by our security team so I need other machines to continue to run it.

I'll post back with what fixes it, assuming it's an issue on the Mac.

rlindenmuth
New Contributor III

This is resolved. I had the user run "killall -s -m jamf;jamf manage;jamf configurationProfile;jamf policy;jamf recon;jamf policy -trigger every30" and that got the machine back on schedule.

msample
Contributor II

Good to hear Robert's comments on how the following features work: [Policy trigger is at startup, and Recurring Check-in which is every 30 minutes.]

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

cool no need to investigate the root cause then i guess.................

msample
Contributor II

Calum, thanks ...didn't know you caught this post. As a matter of fact let me express a quick "thanks" to you regarding the scripting on disabling system preference panes. I've been looking for a solution to this for a while now, but just now getting back around to addressing the issue when I ran across your post in Github: https://github.com/hunty1/Scripts/tree/master/Enable:Disable%20System%20Preference%20Panes

Would love to pick your brain regarding a couple of additional areas in system preferences.

Respect -ms

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

@msample

sure mate grab me on twitter [www.twitter.com/hunty1er ](www.twitter.com/hunty1er )