macOS 12.0.1 to 12.1 fails to install

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Have others seen an increase in macOS 12.1 upgrades from 12.0.1 failing starting within the last week or thereabouts? I've had at least eight cases across Intel, Intel/T2 and Apple Silicon where the update is attempted, performs, and then loads to the users desktop and says it is failed and needs to try again. The only solution so far has been to apply the update from Safe Mode. I contacted Apple support who stated they're unaware of any issue and because these devices are MDM enrolled, the issue would be due to an MDM profile. We do use a deferral profile but we've had devices able to move to 12.1 since shortly after its release, and I'm unable to duplicate. Oddly the installer logs (sourced two days ago) show that the devices are seeing the assumed build numbers for 12.2 and 11.6.3 but skipping them because they are marked as deferred even though I don't believe they're in official channels yet. Since this all started seemingly after the 12.2 RC candidate last week I'm trying to figure out if there is a possible connection or if others are facing similar issues. I've opened a case with Jamf but have not heard anything back.

0 REPLIES 0