macOS High Sierra 10.13 is now live

nvandam
Contributor II

Good luck, everyone.

30 REPLIES 30

Sonic84
Contributor III

Install macOS High Sierra.app downloaded and is ~19MB on my system. seems to be missing the payload the GM had.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Downloaded it about 5 minutes ago. 5.18GB.

H3144-IT
Contributor II

Along with iBook Author v2.6

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

Appears to be handling the payload process differently than the GM candidate did. MAS downloads small installer app and then proceeds to download the entirety of the installer files to a folder at the root of the drive: /macOS Install Data.

H3144-IT
Contributor II

The Server Version 5.4 seems to take a while to be updated alongside with SWIFT PlayGround 2 Version - perhaps they come a bit later this month...?!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The one I downloaded was also only about 19.9 MB. I'm thinking it downloads the actual content once it's run. I haven't run this dl yet on anything, but maybe it's something new?

5d2376d2536a4cd9965f24b505beb16a

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

@mm2270, it appears, from what I can tell from reading the installer pkg scripts, to cache the installer files at the root of the drive and then (unconfirmed, will know for sure in about 20 minutes) will copy itself into the 'Install macOS High Sierra.app' file after upgrading.

jconte
Contributor II

Same experience here, 19.9mb on a 2010 MacPro, even after it took 3 tries to update the firmware.
Macbook didn't require the firmware update downloaded the 5.18gb installer. weird.....

nvandam
Contributor II

@Sonic84 Same thing happened to me. The download ended up being about 24MB... I deleted that and redownloaded it. I've now got a 5.1GB installer. :)

hkabik
Valued Contributor

New Argument for startosinstall:

--converttoapfs, specify either YES or NO on if you wish to convert to APFS.

harperwr
New Contributor II

Same experience here, downloaded 19.9MB. After I hit install it downloaded the /macOS Install Data to the root of the drive. Going through the install now and will see if it compiles it into the .app afterwards. If not will try and re-download after install is complete.

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

I attempted to delete and re-download on multiple host OS's 10.9 and 10.12 and downloading from the High Sierra splash page or purchase history continues to pull down the small installer .app. Waiting on OS upgrade to finish to confirm full installer app after upgrade.

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

Went to a third computer with 10.13 GM Candidate on it, downloaded the small app, deleted it, hit download again, and it pulled down the full installer app.

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

After installation, all root-level installation files are deleted and so is the small installer app. After upgrading, you can download the full installer from the Mac App Store.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if there are available space requirements for the APFS migration portion of the installer or is that rolled into the 14.3 GB free space requirement?

harperwr
New Contributor II

@cstout Same thing for me, after completing the upgrade it continues to download the 19.9MB file. Anyone else having this issue?

a_simmons
Contributor II

On my Macbook the download was 19.9MB on my iMac the download was 5G.

alexmcclements
Contributor

Tried downloading on MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, both downloaded 19MB installer. Installed on MacBook Pro and tried to download installer again, still getting 19MB app.

I tried mirroring the full installer download but when I ran it I got an error saying components were missing, all somewhat annoying Apple.

allanp81
Valued Contributor

I've seen varying results, it either downloads all ~5Gb of the installer or it downloads about 25Mb. All very odd.

sbt_servicedesk
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, checking if you are experiencing below issue:

When dragging the Install macOS HighSierra into Casper Admin it does not extract the InstallESD.dmg from the installer, but instead creates a .app.TAR file, do you have the same behaviour?

We are on JSS 9.101.0-t1504998263.

Thanks!

alexmcclements
Contributor

Was it the full 5GB download or the 25/19mb one? I tried the small one and it spat the dummy.

sbt_servicedesk
New Contributor II

it was the full 5.18 GB download.

alexmcclements
Contributor

I think a ticket to JAMF maybe in order.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Using internal ASUS?

well...

High Sierra app store installer gets its disk images using softwareupdated, i.e. it uses a local Software Update Server if CatalogURL is set in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

knowledge passed down from a friend..

So might want to remove the URL then try

sbirdsley
Contributor

@sbt_servicedesk Did you get an answer on packaging with Casper Admin? Seeing the same thing running JSS 9.101.0-t1504998263 and following previous OS packaging workflows not seeing the IntallESD extracted when copied into Casper Admin

sbt_servicedesk
New Contributor II

Not yet, they are looking into it, the case is still open.

masanoriyusa
New Contributor II

I'm seeing exactly the same thing.

bsuggett
Contributor II

Has anyone tried the following?

1. Starting the High Sierra install
  2. Upon first reboot, target boot into a different disk
  3. Copy / use the InstallESD.dmg from the volume you started the high sierra install on. Path below... /Macintosh HD/macOS Install Data/InstallESD.dmg

I'm attempting this now...

bsuggett
Contributor II

Nope...

It appears that BaseSystem.dmg is now in the Shared Support directory which is next to InstallESD.dmg
whereas previously BaseSystem.dmg was inside the InstallESD.dmg