macOS High Sierra 10.3 Beta 6 VM, in Parallels Desktop 12.2.1, on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 host

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Not supported of course, but Parallels posted blog showing High Sierra running in Parallels:

Running the High Sierra Developer Beta in a Parallels Desktop virtual machine

Here is a screen grab in case they pull the article:

ae380b4e521f4f3291c3bc67a5ad5f3f

We've been trying to get this to work, but haven't been successful.

As of macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta 5 and later, there doesn't seem to be a checkbox to prevent the drive from being formatted to APFS.

So install consistently fails, it can't get past drive verification.

54a2060368f14ab7bb262eb2e437cbff

So we know, not supported, but, they blogged that it is (or was?) possible.

Anyone been able to get this to work?

1. Clone a 10.12.6 OOB VM.
  2. Enroll the VM in Developer Seed.
  3. Download High Sierra Beta installer.
  4. Run High Sierra Beta installer.
  5. Verification fails on each attempt, only boots back into Sierra.

PS, not for nothing but the much superior VMware Fusion Pro 8 does this without breaking a sweat...but I digress...not an option here unfortunately.

TIA,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
5 REPLIES 5

HCSTech
Contributor
Contributor

I don't believe the Caching Content is supported in a VM.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@HCSTech I'm not sure about your response in the context of this thread topic, but if you're referring to Server.app's Caching Service running in a VM, it works fine (at least with Server.app 5.3.1 running on a macOS 10.12.6 VM under ESXi on a 2012 Mac mini)

ryanstayloradob
Contributor

The installer will automatically convert SDD/Flash drives to APFS. HDD and Fusion drives have the option to remain on HFS+. To bad you guys can't switch to Fusion.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

@sdagley Craig @HCSTech is right, with High Sierra, you won't be able to do caching from a VM.

Prepare your institution for iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, or macOS Server 5.4

You won't be able to run Content Caching on a virtual machine. This action has never been supported on previous versions of macOS, but is explicitly disallowed on macOS High Sierra.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@RobertHammen That is an unfortunate change because, while it may not be supported in macOS Sierra, the Caching Service has been working well for me.