macOS Mojave 10.14 icon preview file locking bug

AdrianCooke
New Contributor

We're seeing a file locking error on macOS 10.14 with SMB shares where we cannot save a Photoshop file if the file is selected in the Finder with the preview displayed. Photoshop gives an error 'could not save because write access was not granted'.

Once the Photoshop file is de-selected in the Finder or the Finder view changed, the file will save. This is happening on all SMB platforms and appear to be some kind of preview false locking behaviour.

Could this be is a bug in macOS Mojave that is a regression of the preview locking bug fixed in macOS Sierra (10.12)?

2 REPLIES 2

AdrianCooke
New Contributor

The issue appears to be partially resolved with the latest Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.4 on Mac 10.14.4.

Partially because it only now happens when having a file selected in the Finder using column view with 'show preview column' on. De-selecting the file will resolve the issue. Also, turning off the 'show preview column' in the Finder for column view also resolves the issue.

The workaround of turning off icon previews in all Finder views is no longer needed with the latest Photoshop.

PaynePoint
New Contributor

@AdrianCooke We are still having the file locking issue. The QuickLook engine Apple is using to generate icon previews seems to be the source of the issue. I'm looking for a way to forcibly disable icon previews on all machines. Were you ever able to make that happen in your environment? I was hoping a configuration profile would do the trick, but no luck yet. I see some users have posted scripts using plist buddy, but it seems like config profiles should be the way to go in an effort to lock out individual users from turning it back on.