macOS Sierra Restricted Software record does not block OS upgrades

cghigliotty
New Contributor

Hi all,

We're running Casper 9.91 and I configured a Restricted Software record to block macOS upgrades until we're ready for primetime. I blocked the macOS Install.app process rather than blocking InstallAssistant or osinstallersetupd because we're also in the process of getting some stragglers onto El Cap so our fleet can stay consistent until we're ready to roll out Sierra company-wide. The RS record was working normally but now it no longer suppresses the upgrade. I've tried tweaking the record multiple times, and ensured the framework is current using "sudo jamf manage".

Any thoughts on how to proceed without blocking InstallAssistant or osinstallersetupd? Could this also be related to Casper 9.91?

7 REPLIES 7

May
Contributor III

Hi @cghigliotty

These settings are working for us

809c15e2d51f45f3949b7fc2210569f4

another discussion over here

bret_bender
New Contributor
New Contributor

For those who still run into issues with the "sierra" option, try "macOS Sierra.app" this should block the install with no issue

jconte
Contributor II

I block this as well.

543215ac2df24399af1bcc279215a742

Haven't had any issues, been using since Yosemite.

joshua
New Contributor

If you want to block Sierra You can block the process. If you only block the .app you can simply rename the file and still launch it. When you start the install it spawns a process named "osinstallersetupd". Screenshot attached with the configs that I used.f3522c6ce7d44b14a6759020e08ae587

ds_support
New Contributor III

@joshua Many Thanks for this great idea! Works perfectly!

daniel_ross
Contributor III

@joshua did it block it right away or did it take time to push out?

Running into issues getting your method to work as it seems to be the one size fits all solution for OS upgrade blocking for Sierra.

EDIT: We got this working finally. Not sure why but it took several hours for the .app for Sierra only to be blocked.

KSchroeder
Contributor

Will using the "osinstallersetupd" block still allow point releases from older versions to install (i.e. if someone is still on 10.11.2, can they update to 10.11.6)?