macOS Sonoma Beta Testing

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

With the release of macOS Sonoma Beta I want to look at getting this on a test machine but the directions to find the beta option under Software Updates is not being seen. Would this be due to JAMF management? The device is logged in with an Apple ID that has access to the Apple Developer Program. 

I have nothing set in JAMF that I'm seeing that's restricting the beta.

18 REPLIES 18

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

The Beta option did show up for iPadOS (managed by JAMF) and iOS (managed by InTune). 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

you can download from here https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-sonoma-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

IPSW available in AppleSeed.. 

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

Thanks! I'll wait to see if it's just going to take time to show up on my Software Updates as described.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

If you have access to AppleSeed for IT, take a look at the seed notes for 13.4beta on how to sign-in using a valid Developer or Managed AppleID to receive betas.

P.S. Just remember that discuss of beta software, outside of what Apple introduced during the Keynote is covered by an NDA and shouldn't be discussed in public forums. 

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

Good point. Not looking to get into much of what isn't public already on the general Apple websites but find out why it doesn't show up. Anyways will wait and see. Something is preventing it from showing up. 

Thanks

I'm not sure if the beta's show in Software updates to everyone all at once, for loadbalancing. I could be wtong, but it would explain why a beta enrolled device does not see the option.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@GetCart3r Are you connected to an organizational network? It's not uncommon for network restrictions to cause visibility problems for Apple updates, so if you have the option of trying from a non-organizational network you might have better luck.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

MacOS Sonoma access is tied to your AppleID, if you have the correct access it will show up in software update. Beyond that I suggest reaching out to Apple for Assistance or check out the MacAdmins AppleSeed Slack Channel as Apple Beta software is covered under a NDA. 

jth
New Contributor II

After installing the latest public beta 3 of Sonoma yesterday (Aug 10) and no longer being presented with the JAMF login screen, just get a black screen, no mouse, no interface. Anyone else experiencing this? Either way beware before installing b3, I guess.

Cheers,

-jth

tomaszgruszka
New Contributor II

Yeap, I have the same issue with Sonoma Dev6. Jamf Connect login screen don't appear and just goes black. Anyone found a solution or do we need to wait for a fix?

jth
New Contributor II

I was able to get back in by running:

> mv /var/db/auth.db /var/db/auth.db.bak

and disabling FileVault on the command line following the instructions here.

I'm not sure which step (or the combo) did it, but it brought the login back up. I've since removed Protect for the time being until this is resolved.

Cheers,

-jth

LeFLO
New Contributor II

Hi,

I've the same issue with Beta 7. The Login window of Jamf Connect doesn't appear, just a black screen.

I've another issue, since I upgraded Beta 6 to 7, now all my Extension Attributes disappeared and I want to force a Jamf Recon, I've a message Error - Unknown Error has occurred.

[Jamf Connect 2.26.0 client installed on Sonoma Beta 7]

MarcoR
New Contributor II

Jamf Connect 2.26.0 doesn't work with Sonoma.

You need to use Jamf Connect 2.27.0 (in RC1-status). This took me a while to figure out as I had the same issue with the black screen. Now with 2.27.0 everything is back as normal.

Cheers,

LeFLO
New Contributor II

@MarcoR Thank you, I'll wait the Jamf Connect 2.27.0 official release 😉

MarcoR
New Contributor II

@LeFLO Jamf Connect 2.27.0 is out now 👋

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

do you have a config profile for 'software update' deployed? and are you allowing macOS beta?

jth
New Contributor II

Using the macOS beta to, y'know, test? :) We're not allowing it elsewhere, especially after two different Macs were rendered unbootable by this bug. 

Cheers,

-jth

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I allow Beta to my lab devices, and a very small number of select users. No one else. Its a beta, it should only be used by people testing the beta on non-production devices. Also make your own discussion rather then "necroing" on a 3 month old post :P.