macOS Ventura - Full Disk Access

DennisMX
Contributor II

macOS Ventura introduces an issue with Full Disk Access and i was reading apple is working on a fix (I hope).

When checking the Full Disk Access on a macbook all of them are disabled.
Pushing a config created with the PPPC tool to allow full disk access doesn't do anything.

Our AV product still seems to be able to scan the disk un the current state.
I don't expect the fix to magically enable all listed software for full disk access, will the push from PPPC work after any Apple fix?

What are the options we have and what wil be the result for any fix that Apple releases?

9 REPLIES 9

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@DennisMX If you're looking at System Settings to see what has been granted Full Disk Access be aware that the GUI does not show items that have that access granted via a MDM deployed Configuration Profile (same for the other settings under Privacy & Security)

DennisMX
Contributor II

So it could well be that our security solution still works as expected, i'm running a version that is listed by the supplier as Ventura compatible.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/mac-whatsnew?view=o365-wo...

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

angryant
New Contributor II

AtillaTheC
Contributor II

we had a similar concern with Carbon Black but after looking at the logs Full Disk Access was still enabled even though the toggle in system settings was off.

DennisMX
Contributor II

I think MS Defender has the same thing, is seems to work just fine on Ventura.
Is there a way we can confirm fda is still working, apart from running a scan?

(Apart from a different issue introduced all OS'es in the latest version)

rstasel
Valued Contributor

You can check "mdatp health" and confirm it's healthy. 

AtillaTheC
Contributor II

Only way I confirmed was running a scan then checking the logs for errors. 

rstasel
Valued Contributor

what an obnoxious bug... at least it's just visually confusing