MacPro 5,1 not netbooting to 10.8

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi All,

Losing it a bit with this one!

We have a MacPro5,1 that we use as a test mac, it's also the Mac that we create out netboot images on. These images are used for Casper Imaging only.

We can successfully boot this MacPro to a 10.6.8 & 10.7.3 images created on it.. but when trying to boot from either our 10.8 or 10.8.2 image that we CREATED on the MacPro it fails to boot. Just sits there with the spinning gear.

A MacBookPro8,1 boots fine to these images & the MacPro will boot fine to the partition that we have the image on.

I've deleted all the NetBoot Users on the server, deleted all folders under /NetBootClients..

MacPro has no firmware updates outstanding as far as i can tell.. any ideas?

Server is Mac OSX 10.7.4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms

forgot to update this, booting into verbose when attempting to netboot these Mac Pro's from a 10.8 image works.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Do you have firewall running on the server? In the past I've noticed some oddities with different ports being used for NetBoot than were documented by Apple.

bentoms

Hi Jared,

Nope. The service works well enough for other models & I checked, we've no filtering.

Also other MacPro's have been NetBooted off this image fine.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Hmmm, I keep a USB 10.8.2 installer when weird things like this happens. Makes it easier to blat the disk and try again.

bentoms

well the 10.6.8 & the 10.7.3 NetBoot images boot it fine.. so no need for old school local drives :P,

just an oddity that's doing my nut in! & i'm wondering why a NetBoot Image created on a mac will not netboot the same Mac but will others!!

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

You could try renaming the 10.8 NetBoot then copy the 10.8.2 NetBoot to the nbi

http://deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=4024

bentoms

forgot to update this, booting into verbose when attempting to netboot these Mac Pro's from a 10.8 image works.

boberito
Valued Contributor

The 5,1 MacPro aren't supported by 10.8. That's the first generation of MacPros, if I remember correctly.

I was very grumpy to find that out as I have a very nicely souped up MacPro at home. The technical reasons are that it has some 32 bit elements on the motherboard or something that keep it from being a full 64bit machine.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

@boberito

I'm pretty sure you have MacPro5,1 confused with MacPro1,1. MacPro5,1 is the current shipping designation, and runs OS X Mountain Lion without a problem.

boberito
Valued Contributor

You're right! sorry about the confusion.

sgrall
New Contributor III

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever find a solution to this? I'm facing the exact same issue, and verbose mode is the only thing that works.

bentoms

Verbose is all I found.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I had a machine doing that. I had to boot from an installer on a usb, repartition and select startup disk to netboot then ok.

How do you verbosely netboot?