Macs auto logging out, need to stop it

fbaker
New Contributor III

Hey everybody, I have an issue with my Mac computers auto logging out. This is a pain, especially when it comes to our caching server. I've went in to the system preferences and tried unchecking and extending the auto log out time. Both options fail, and they automatically revert back to the default of 30 minutes of inactivity.

Is there a way around this for me to force the computers to not log out?

5 REPLIES 5

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

you may experience a product issue here. The issue you describe has dependencies to some payloads of config profiles (restrictions, as far as I remember...). This was fixed with 9.96. Which version of the JSS are you running?

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

@m.entholzner is right...older pre-9.9x builds had a pesky issue that inserted some superfluous payloads that had 30 minute logout functionality into it. 9.96 has hit that one hard....make sure you look at the profiles on your Mac that is doing that itself. Look for extra loginwindow or login items payloads that you didn't want...that profile is what is causing this. Updating your JSS should fix it.

endor-moon
Contributor II

I use JAMF's disableAutoLogout.sh script being called at each check-in. Perhaps that's overkill but it works for my Mac labs. I defined a policy called Disable Auto-Logout, scoped it to hit all our lab computers and call it on 'Recurring Check-in'. The script itself is posted somewhere here but I can reproduce it here if you can't find it. My Mac labs are a mix of Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.

Another script on each Mac forces a reboot early each morning.

Cheers...

fbaker
New Contributor III

@m.entholzner I'm running version JSS 9.96.1472575603.c

I don't have any restriction config profiles set up. Looking at my Login Window options, I see it checked there. I'm assuming that is an option recently added, as it was not there before.

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

I have checked my notes and found that whether Security & Privacy and / or FV2 Redirect profiles are the problematic ones. When I had those issues, the Jamf buddies recommended me to re-send profiles that contain one of that payloads. This is what I recommend to you now too :)