Managed Software Center

kvnsmn
New Contributor II

Hello,

I noticed a couple weeks ago, that all devices have the "Managed Software Center" installed. It checks for updates when I open it and then errors out. The about says "https://www.munki.org/munki/ Managed Software Center". I can't even click on the other tabs within the software, like "Software, Categories, My items"

However, I don't ever recall installing such an app, neither do we use Munki.

• Why is this on all Macs installed?
  • How do I remove it from all Macs?
  • Or do I actually need it or does Jamf need it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvnsmn
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve I found the troublemaker! It is our ITSM agent "KACE/Quest" that installed the Managed Software Center.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@kvnsmn Are you taking over this job from someone else? You'd need to go out of your way to install Munki, it wouldn't have just appeared out of thin air. Unless @gregneagle is plotting to take over the world one Munki installation at a time ;) .

From what you're describing it doesn't sound like it's been pointed to a repo or a manifest so it can be safely removed. I've never removed it, but It should be all be contained to a few areas on the disk: /Applications, /Library/Managed Installs, /Library/LaunchDaemons, /Library/LaunchAgents and /usr/local. A script can be cooked up or located to automate this.

kvnsmn
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve Well actually, we just started with Jamf 2 months ago and it is only me. That is what concerns me. I have not deployed Munki.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@kvnsmn What management platform did you have before? If you where using SimpleMDM for instance they use Munki for their software management.

kvnsmn
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve We used AirWatch/Intune before. However, Munki shows up on completely new devices that are going through the PreStage enrollment via Jamf.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I'm at a loss then. Clearly somebody has uploaded that installer and created a policy to install it.

Since you're a new customer did you have a Jump Start? Perhaps the trainer threw this file on your instance as a demonstration. Would be a weird one to choose through. I assume you're the only person working within Jamf Pro? If not have you quizzed any coworkers, techs, etc?

kvnsmn
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve I found the troublemaker! It is our ITSM agent "KACE/Quest" that installed the Managed Software Center.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@kvnsmn Ah.. that makes sense then. Glad you sorted it out.

J_Martinez
New Contributor III

@kvnsmn Was the Kace agent it self installing the Managed Software App, or was there a managed install in KACE scoped to your Macs? I've noticed this app showing up on all our macs and have been breaking my head trying to figured out what's installing it.

kvnsmn
New Contributor II

@J.Martinez I should check jamf nation more often...
We had a patch and deploy schedule for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox updates on all devices. I talked to my coworker and he changed it only to Windows devices.
However we have a "Detect All Missing Patches" for all devices. It has not picked up the Mac. We may have to change that also for Windows devices only. I removed the Managed Software Center manually and it hasn't been installed yet.