Managing WebEx Origination ID with a configuration profile

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to get a configuration profile built to manage com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist so we can define our Organization ID. If I manually create the plist everything works fine, but when I try to use a custom settings configuration profile it is not taking. I am figuring I am just missing something dumb.

the JSON works fine.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>OrganizationID</key>
    <string>super secret information</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Shoved this in to a configuration profile and its not working.

AJPinto_0-1649096607842.png

Anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

While working with JAMF, Apple, and Cisco for a week Cisco admitted they did not build WebEx to respect /Library/Managed Preferences. WebEx only reads from /Library/Preferences. So, you cannot use a configuration profile to manage WebEx. 

If you need to "manage" WebEx, and by manage I mean politely ask as the user can just change or remove the plist. You need to package and deploy the plist to /Library/Preferences with a policy. I have built an EA to check the org ID and a policy/smart group to repush the package if it changes for some form of "management". 

Just another poorly designed Cisco product for macOS. So, submit feature requests it is.

#!/bin/sh

if [[ -f /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist ]]; then
  vers=$(/usr/bin/defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist OrganizationID)
  echo "<result>$vers</result>"
else
  echo "<result>Not Configured</result>"
fi

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

While working with JAMF, Apple, and Cisco for a week Cisco admitted they did not build WebEx to respect /Library/Managed Preferences. WebEx only reads from /Library/Preferences. So, you cannot use a configuration profile to manage WebEx. 

If you need to "manage" WebEx, and by manage I mean politely ask as the user can just change or remove the plist. You need to package and deploy the plist to /Library/Preferences with a policy. I have built an EA to check the org ID and a policy/smart group to repush the package if it changes for some form of "management". 

Just another poorly designed Cisco product for macOS. So, submit feature requests it is.

#!/bin/sh

if [[ -f /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist ]]; then
  vers=$(/usr/bin/defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist OrganizationID)
  echo "<result>$vers</result>"
else
  echo "<result>Not Configured</result>"
fi